external hdd problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a problem.

I reformat my external hdd to Mac os extend (Journaled) after that i transfer 10gig of files over it always stop transferring at about 2 or 3 gig.

Thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would probably reformat and try again in smaller chunks...

What type of drive is it ? How is it connected ?

Were you doing anything else at the same time ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would probably reformat and try again in smaller chunks...

What type of drive is it ? How is it connected ?

Were you doing anything else at the same time ?

regards

Ric

It is a usb western digital 2.5" external hdd.
I tried lots of ti,e transferring the files and it just hang there around 2.5gigs
I am not doing anything else except transferring the data.

Reaction score
Reformat it and check the drive for errors, if it is sticking in the same place it is either a memory issue or the drive could contain errors.

How much memory do you have? Better still, what machine do you have?

You could always try and reformat as fat 32 - as long as any single file is not bigger than 4GB. It would probably be a bit of messing around now though as it is already formatted in HFS.

Reaction score
Reformat it and check the drive for errors, if it is sticking in the same place it is either a memory issue or the drive could contain errors.

How much memory do you have? Better still, what machine do you have?

You could always try and reformat as fat 32 - as long as any single file is not bigger than 4GB. It would probably be a bit of messing around now though as it is already formatted in HFS.

I am using macbook 1.83ghz with 1gb ram

what u mean as long as any single file is not bigger than 4GB. It would probably be a bit of messing around now though as it is already formatted in HFS?

what should i do then?

Thanks

Reaction score
FAT 32 only supports files up to 4GB.

Leave it as it is, and run some disc checking software - I am unsure if the bundled Mac hardware test will support and external drive, but you could try this:

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticl...461&tid=100008&p=1&title=Maintaining+your+Mac

Also, do a search through google for programs that can check your hard drive for faults.

http://www.google.co.uk/mac.html

FAT 32 only supports files up to 4gb?
Then how do i transfer my 10gig of files to my 80gig hdd?

Thanks

Reaction score
You said you formatted your external hard drive in HFS+ - is this correct?

FAT32 is a windows file system, however it can be used for external drives as OSX can read and write to this file system.

As you have formatted yours in HFS+ the limit does not apply.

The 4gb limit is each single file - if you have four files that are each 3GB (12 GB total) then you can transfer these if you have formatted as FAT32 - however, a single file that is more than 4GB will fail transfer.

Reaction score
You said you formatted your external hard drive in HFS+ - is this correct?

FAT32 is a windows file system, however it can be used for external drives as OSX can read and write to this file system.

As you have formatted yours in HFS+ the limit does not apply.

The 4gb limit is each single file - if you have four files that are each 3GB (12 GB total) then you can transfer these if you have formatted as FAT32 - however, a single file that is more than 4GB will fail transfer.

Then what format should i format the hdd to be compatible with OSX and windows and do not have limit to each single file.

Thanks

Reaction score
If you want to guarantee compatibility with Windows then you really need to go FAT 32 :)

This will allow both reading and writing to the drive from both OS.

OSX can read NTFS drives but cannot write to them - I also think you need a third party program for Windows to be able to write to HFS+ - maybe someone can clarify this as I have to go for a moment.

Reaction score
If you want to guarantee compatibility with Windows then you really need to go FAT 32 :)

This will allow both reading and writing to the drive from both OS.

OSX can read NTFS drives but cannot write to them - I also think you need a third party program for Windows to be able to write to HFS+ - maybe someone can clarify this as I have to go for a moment.

ok thanks for your help

Ask a Question