Errors when copying from a share point external FW drive

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am not sure if this is the right place, or if i'm running Panther or not. It doesn't really say in the "About" window. I didn't install the system and missed it when they did it for us.

Currently, I'm working in an office with 1 Mac OS X 10.4.7 server and several Mac OS 9 classic workstations.

The problem I'm having is a bit wierd, so I'll try to explain it the best I can.

The server has an internal HD volume called "Shares." It contains a few folders that we use for our stuff: Ads, Art, Archives, etc.

We needed some extra space so we ordered 2 more HDs and they came as externals and they're connected with FW800.

Workgroup Manager has the share points setup for our Internal HD fine, we never had a problem copying files on the Mac OS9 Clients back and forth between the folders in the Shares volume.

When we got the new External Drives and created the new share points, we noticed a peculiar problem.

To back up a bit, all our Mac OS 9 clients all connect to the Server's volumes as Guest. We always have over the years, it's just easier that way I guess.

When we went into Chooser and chose the new External Drives' share points (Archives 1 and Archives 2), they appeared fine on our Mac OS 9 workstations.

The problem is that we're unable to copy files from External/Archives1 > Internal/Shares/Ads. Internal/Shares/Ads > External/Archives1 doesn't work either.

External1/Archives1 > External2/Archives2 doesn't work too.

The errors we get are "Type -50" or "cannot be written, because the file cannot be found".

I've clicked on "Ignore permissions" on the Info window for the External drives but that didn't seem to help.

My only theory is that it's the Guest permissions that are causing the problem.

I tried for fun logging in on the Mac OS 9 workstation in Chooser as one the admin logins on the server. The admin login was able to choose the hard drives and not the share points. But... I could copy from one drive to another with no problem.

I'm not sure how to fix this so our Mac OS 9 workstations can copy properly without getting errors. It's just annoying more than anything. We have to take the folder and copy it to the desktop first and then copy to the other internal volume or vice versa.

Thanks :) I hope someone out there is experienced in Mac servers >.<

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Sorry this one got missed.

It certainly seems like a Permissions problem, I would set up a new group for the OS 9 users making sure that they had read/write permissions on both of the new drives.

Were the dries formatted before being used ? Are they FAT drives or HFS ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and thanks :D

The format says: Mac OS Extended. It doesn't say NTFS or HFS, but i'm assuming it's the usual Mac format HFS... but not sure.

I'd like to avoid making logins for everyone, that would cause some problems, not everyone here is very computer savvy, as silly as it sounds, it would be just tedious for them to login just to get to the volumes. I can try to make them adapt to it if it's necessary, but I'd like to avoid it for now.

I will try and test it out on my own workstation and see how it works though :)

The only alternative I can think of is entering each computer's network mac address into the Workgroup Manager (from what I was reading). I'm not too familiar with this method yet or understand how it works... or if this is the best way to do it.

Reaction score
O
M
G
!

It was one stupid little option in the Workgroup Manager. I would have never thought of it... but I thought I'd try it...

-> Use standard POSIX behavior

(the one I had selected was "Inherit permissions from parent"... but the drives didn't have any permissions since "ignore permissions" on the drive itself was turned on... I don't get it!!!)

Now I can copy files fine between the external and internal drive.

... wow... I knew it was going to be something dumb!

haha

Ask a Question