Epson Stylus Photo R300

Reaction score
Bought this from Amazon as many good reviews (on Amazon) and needed it quickly and cheaply. I looked into cannon and HP, as I wanted one where the inks would be less expensive! But better the devil you know.
However, the photo prints are dark and the colour far too vibrant, and I hoped someone might have an idea how I can rectify this. Or suggest a software, fairly easy to use and not too expensive. I have an powerbook 4,3 640 mg ram with mac os x 10.4.4. Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Hi,

That's a fine printer you have there. I have a similar model, the R800. Color Management and Print Color Matching is a VERY complex and in-depth discussion...the stuff that expensive, multi-day seminars/courses are created to explain.

There are several things you can do to rectify that issue. The print dialog box that comes up when you choose to Print contains several sections that you can tweak. The related ones are Print Settings and Color Management.

"photo prints are dark"

Print Settings
- Make sure you have selected the proper type of paper in Media Type
- Try setting Mode to Automatic and slider to Quality
Color Management
- Try adjusting Gamma to a lower number

"colour far too vibrant"

Color Management
- Make sure Mode is set to EPSON Standard, not EPSON Vivid
- Try the ColorSync and Off (No Color Adjustment) modes

What software are you currently using to print photos from, iPhoto?

C

Reaction score
Dear Cory,
I have tried to upload from the desk 2 grabs I made but it tells me they exceed limit. It is the first grab ive tried so I may have got it wrong!?
Thank you for your reply it helped and I have just tried to print via iphoto, the last time I was printing via the stuff sent with the printer, epson photo quicker3 for x. I did all you suggested and it was better (although faces now look ghostly) but a few problems.
First when I tried to preview alterations I had made everything froze and I had to force quit. This has happened before when I have tried to edit photos in iphoto.
But main problem was having chosen 4 x 6 in page setup when I got into print, in a left side panel it said size will not print of current paper size. I tried reselecting 'stylus photo r300 (sheet Feeder) over stylus photo r300 and still no joy. Once I did get it to print it had white edges left and right. Although supposed to be able to do borderless.
Mary :)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mary,

I have tried to upload from the desk 2 grabs I made but it tells me they exceed limit.

Are you trying to upload "Screen Grabs" ?

If you are, feel free to email them to me and I'll have a look at the sizes...then I can adjust them accordingly...

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Mary,

Are you using EPSON paper? Also, make sure the image you are printing has the correct resolution to fill a 4x6 print.

In iPhoto, I believe it is set to have a white border on all four sides. Here's a screenshot of one of my photos in the Print dialog in iPhoto from iLife 06:

borderless.jpeg

I will keep looking into it for you...

C

Reaction score
I think so (trying to upload screen grabs) trouble is I don't know how to email them to you without going on the post reply and adding as attatchments - which was the problem of them being too big! They were of the photo I was trying to print with the right colour - so the screen with all the options. Might it have been too much detail so making it exceed? Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Maybe...

Send it to me directly via email attachment at:

corycooper at mac dot com

I assume you know how to reformat that as an email address. On public forums, it's always best to type it that way, so email harvesters/spiders don't pick it up and add to a SPAM list.

Thanks,

C

Reaction score
Hi louiseyes :) I know this doesn't really help with your problem but I thought I would let you know of my experience with recent Epsons and colour problems.

I have always used Epson Printers, however, my last one, an Epson R200 (the earlier version to yours) I have been disappointed with.

I am a keen photographer and regularily print out photos from my DSLR camera. The colour on the Epson 200 was a little too bright to begin with even after monitor/printer calibration.

Now, the colour is washed out no matter what settings I use. Heads become reguarily clogged and I have to waste ink on recharching/cleaning heads.

I have noticed the decline in Epson over the last two printers I have had, as colour was an issue on the previous Epson printer - and I am disappointed, so have decided never to buy one again.

I am going for a new Canon A3 printer as soon as I get enough money together.

Ask a Question