Email storage program

Reaction score
I have a MacPro 2.66 Dual-Core with OSX 10.5.1 installed. For email I use Compuserve which is presented in Apple Mail on my machine through imap. Alas in this combination my emails vanish into space after 2 weeks and are not stored. Can anyone suggest a good program that stores emails from Mail. Note: I do not want to give up Compuserve for various reasons, nor do I intend to open a .mac account.
Many thanks for suggestions
Cees

Reaction score
Have you contacted Compuserve about your lost mail? If you're using IMAP, mail should be kept as long as you do not delete it. This issue of mail disappearing after 2 weeks seems to indicate a problem.

As for storing emails, have you thought of a Google mail account? It's free and also supports IMAP now. I have set up one for my main account. Even though I can keep my mail in my IMAP server, I use my Google IMAP account for storage. I also use it to bcc every email I send out.

Reaction score
Hi Egidio, thanks for your advice. I will contact Compuserve to address the problem and see what comes out of it. I may come back on the issue though.
Regards
Cees

Reaction score
You should be able to stop this by looking into "mail" settings (the apple mail program) - there will be something there relating to deleting emails after so long, you can set it not to once downloaded.

EDIT: just realised you are on Leopard. Go to Mail, then click on preferences (on the top bar under "mail" then highlight the account you are having the issue with. Then go to mailbox behaviours, and it is the last setting there. Set it to "never" and untick whatever you think you want - don't forget to SAVE afterwards, very important!

Reaction score
And if you're looking for a Mail archive program t store everything in the future, Mail Steward works great, and you can find it on VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Reaction score
Thanks all. I have located the problem through the Advanced option in Mail Preferences, where I had to insert the imap path prefix to locate my saved emails on the compuserve server. Also some other problems were fixed. I will have a look at Mail Steward now.
Regards
Cees

Reaction score
Thanks rpphoto for advising Mail Steward. I just purchased the program and it is exactly what I was looking for

Ask a Question