email set up question

Reaction score
I recently bought and reformatted an iBook G4. The version it is now running on is 10.4.6 I believe.
My question is pretty basic. When I log onto the computer...there are the list of icons at the bottom of the screen. This list of icons has a mail icon in it obviously...and for awhile it wouldnt allow me to send or recieve email. Well I figured out the problem...which was that I needed to sign up for a MAC account and all that. I signed up for the 60 day trial so I could get to know the system better. When the 60 days is up...do they REALLY expect people to pay $100 for a year of email? I know there are other features that come w/ the account...but I looked thru them and really wont need them.
This brings me to my main question...is there any way to maintain my "@mac.com" email address w/ out having to shell over $100 a year? It just seems ridiculous to pay so much when all I really want is the email address.
Thanks for anyone's insight in advance...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

yes depending on your needs, I find the .mac account quite expensive !

There are numerous free email providers that you can sign up to.

When the the free trial is over, you 'keep' the .mac name so that you can still use it in iChat, but you can't access the mail server.

The mail icon at the bottom of the screen (Mail Application) can be used with 'any' email account you don't have to use it with .mac

But I'm afraid if you want to be able to send and recieve email using the .mac email account you created then you have to pay for it ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Presumably you have an ISP such as BT or Wanadoo and they should give you an POP email account.

You can set this up in Mail's account preferences you just need the details of your email ISP settings i.e the name of your email, password and the type of outgoing/incoming server settings etc.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 400

Ask a Question