eMac upgrade

Reaction score
I presently have a eMac G4 700MHz.
I'm considering upgrading to another eMac G4 1.4G, good price nowadays.
I'll get an OS X Tiger, I'll double my hard drive capacity, get an Ilife upgrade and will get a Superdrive on this deal.
Is this a good move ? Should a wait a while for the new Imac Intel Core Duo instead ?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi oldbob (do you prefer bob ?) and welcome !

What do you mainly use your Mac for ?

Have you been able to have have a play on one of the "eMac's G4 1.4G" does it seem like you would get a good few years out of it ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,
To answer your question. I mainly use my eMac with IPhoto, ITunes, IWork and surfing the net. I would like to upgrade for the faster eMac and at the same time get the Superdrive as I plan to get into Imovie someday.
As you can see I'm only a "friendly user" and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Bob

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I'm not sure how much money the eMac's are going for now, compared to the price of the Intel Dual Core iMac's.

Is there a big price difference ? I'll have to try and dig out a speed comparison. I would imagine it would be quite a bump in speed !

The new MacBook Pro has the same Intel Dual Core chip as the new iMac and that is 4 to 5 times quicker than my PowerBook. So I would say that the new iMac would be at least 4 to 5 times quicker than the eBook.

The faster you can get the better, really. If you want to have a go with iMovie then the iMac would certainly help.

I use iMovie on 1.67GHZ G4 PowerBook, whilst it certainly doesn't fly it is acceptable for home use, I would imagine that there isn't a great deal of speed difference between my PowerBook and the new eMac that you are thinking of getting. It would certainly be capable of doing it !

iPhoto, iTunes, iWork and iMovie have now all been updated and the newer versions will only run on G4 processors and above, I realise that this means they 'will' run on the eMac but maybe on the next update they may only run on G5/Intel only and above...there's not a lot of 'mileage' in the eMac, unless it is a 'really' good price !

I like the term 'friendly user' ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,
I think you answered my question. The difference in price is about 500$ between the eMac and the new iMac, but there is a big difference in speed and I suppose that in the long run I would be better off with the iMac. So I'll be following the progress of the Intel Duo Core IMac and when I'm ready I'll upgrade.

Bob

Ric

Reaction score
No problem !

If you do get one you'll have to let us know what it's like !

I'm going to see one on Monday next week, when they're delivered at the local Apple Store !

It'll be nice to see what sort of speed they 'really' are !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question