DVD writer problems

Reaction score
I have a Mac G5 running Leopard OSX.5.8, and recently bought a Samsung DVD writer, which is powered from two USB ports on my Mac. The problem has just recently arisen whereby if I turn on my Mac with the DVD writer connected it disables all my sound settings! This includes i-Tunes and any sound preferences, which appear "Greyed out" in the sound preferences window, and I'm unable to alter any of the settings at all.
If I then plug in my writer AFTER start-up everything works as normal. Would any of you guys have any ideas on what might be causing this, and if so how to overcome this problem?

Reaction score
My response won't be much help but I have the same problems with an Epson Scanner. If it's connected and on when I boot up, I loose sound and ability to record. Sure doesn't make sense but I just leave it disconnected and off when I boot and there is no problem

I can't tell you why this happens... a quirk of Apple I think...

I've had other issues with USB connected devices... which all seem to be quirky not necessarily real problems....

Wish I good help you more here!

Reaction score
I will bet this happened right after an update, correct? Maybe an iTunes update?

I had a similar problem about a year ago; it came up right after one of the updates and I fixed it by going to Apple, downloading one of those massive "combined updates", updated again and the problem was fixed.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys . . .I'll give that a go and if no joy I'll just leave it out and connect when I need it.

Reaction score
If you have a G5, I would advise, leaving it just as it is, don't change a thing. Yes, plug as required.

The G5 is one of the few models I will always advise, move up ASAP, its going to die and horribly. Ensure you have all your Documents, esp your photos and movies backed up, NOW!

A MacMini and a cheap Monitor (you have a mouse and keyboard) is far far far better than a G5.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Kaveman. I can't afford a new Mac right now, but will take your advice and back up any photos I have on this machine. Fortunately most of my pics, etc. are backed up on discs already, so it's not a problem.

Ask a Question