Downloaded movies and screenshots wont show up on desktop

Reaction score
Powerbook 17" 167ghz 2gb.....
I am getting a error when trying to set the downloads in Safari or explorer to the decktop. It will save in the HD just fine. Screen Shots will make the sound but no pic on the desktop. Grab screenshot will to HD fine ,but not when set to desktop. Kinda new to Mac any ideas would be great.

Reaction score
Hello Kingnailer and Welcome!

Did you try repairing disk permissions? Go to Applications, click utilities, then look for disk utility. Once that's open click on repair disk permissions. Let us know how this works out for you.

Searay

Ric

Reaction score
Hello Kingnailer and welcome !

I would also try repairing permissions, then a restart then try again.

Let us know how you get on. If that doesn't work we can try a few other things...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Guy's,
Tried it.....Nothing
Thanks for taking the time to try to help. Anymore suggestion's would be great!

Reaction score
I dont get it..... When I go to make a new file for the desktop it says the desktop cannot be modified. Then I have to "Authenticate" and put in my password. Could this have something to do with it? How do I get rid of the preference to Authenticate permission ? It's making the picture sound , but no pic maybe because it needs permission? Probley as simple as a system preference?:confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

did you try running the repair permissions whilst booted from the original DVD, that may work better.

Also, try and create a new 'users' account and see if the Screencaptures etc work okay in that...let us know if you're not sure what to do !

If still no joy then throw a way the Finder preference file and reboot...

It's here:

/Users/Yourusername/Library/Preferences/

Throw the file called 'com.apple.finder.plist ' away, then reboot and try again.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for helping Ric and searay345
Made a new account and it works fine. What do you think I should do to get my main user account back to normal. Thanks again guy's really helps to show the routes to where you are telling me to go.
Thanks,
Kingnailer
Learning but loving my MAC

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

did you throw away the prefs file ? In the main account ?

regards

Ric

Ask a Question