Difficulty performing installations

Reaction score
733 Mhz PowerPC G4
384 MB SDRAM
Mac OS 10.4.8

Recently I performed a clean install using my Tiger installation CDs. It took me several tries, but I finally got my HD erased and the OS reinstalled.

Then I went to reinstall the Adobe Creative Suite and was unable to do so (attempted MANY times). It hangs up midway through the install and doesn't progress any further. I'm having difficulty figuring out whether my problem is the installer CD, my CD reader or maybe even my HD.

To determine whether it was the installer CD or not, I tried to install the Creative Suite onto my backup Mac (another G4). I can get further through the installation on that Mac, but it stalls on that one too. So, I guess it's the installer CD, except ...

To determine whether it was my CD reader or not, I tried copying music from CDs into iTunes. Most copied just fine, but a few skipped when I tried to play back the copies. So, I guess it's the CD reader, except ...

I downloaded a printer driver for my HP Laserjet 4mv--no installer CD or CD reader involved. But when I went to install the driver, it hung up midway through the install with the same "trying really hard, but not getting anywhere" noises that I hear when I try to install the Creative Suite. So it must be my HD, right?

I'm just trying to figure out what needs to be fixed or replaced. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi Vita
and welcome
I think you are experiencing a RAM deficency, you say you have 384 MB ram with a 733mb processor perhaps you should consider adind a little more RAM
Regards
Teapot

Reaction score
Not that I don't want more RAM, but this amount of RAM ran everything just fine prior to the OS reinstall.

Ask a Question