Different iBook Battery Problem

Reaction score
I have an 800mhz iBook with a Li-Ion battery. The battery life is fine: I can go 5 hours+ just using the battery. However, when the battery is not in the machine (as some people have recommended), the battery drains almost immediately. If I fully charge the battery and then remove it from the computer, it discharges itself within 15 minutes. No lights light up, and I have put it back into the computer to check that it is really discharged.

In addition, sometimes the battery just discharges itself instantly for no reason. This has happened both with the iBook on and AC adaptor in, and with the iBook off and AC adaptor out. Almost like the battery discharges faster when it isn't supposed to be in use, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

I have done the recalibration process as suggested. If I charge the battery and then remove the AC adaptor, I can operate the iBook for hours on just the battery. But remove the battery and leave it to one side for 15 minutes, and it'll be totally dead. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Update: I have found that when the supposedly empty battery is put back into the machine with AC power, it charges back up to full within 10 minutes or so. I have verified that it is actually fully charged by testing. This leads me to believe that the battery somehow forgets that it carries a charge when not operating, or in some way refuses to work even though it is actually charged. Is there any way to remedy this, or is it new battery time? It's a shame since the battery life itself is great.

Reaction score
Check out the Coconut Battery app suggested by Kyomii in this thread: https://www.mac-help.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456&highlight=coconut

It can tell you more about your battery's charge and capacity. I've got an iBook that's 62 months old and my battery capacity is still running at 100%.
Picture_16.png

I keep it plugged in whenever possible, only running on battery when I'm actually away from a power outlet. Battery always stays in, never heard of the method of removing battery...

Reaction score
I did, and it basically backs up the tests I did: when it's fully charged, coconut has it at 100% of capability. When it's "discharged" (but really not), coconut has it at 0% current. Sometimes coconut (and my computer) doesn't even realise that there's a battery in the computer, and it doesn't start charging. I think I'd probably better just get a new battery.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

that sounds very strange !

If it gives you 5 + hours of use then I wouldn't replace it ! Just leave it in the Mac.

Just check that it's not on the Apple recall lists...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question