Dictation – More headbang

Reaction score
Dictation has been working tolerably well for me but not faultlessly. It soon became an indispensable prop for me.

Often when I double-clicked fn (bottom left key in my Mac notebook) it gave a low pitched Bong and it did not work. But I found just clicking System Preferences, that's all, didn't have to do anything else, afterwards fn gave a high-pitched bing and the dictation worked. It might or might not have had to do with my Wi-Fi system homing on to a printer in preference to Internet. The Wi-Fi signal is not all that strong. I think I've cured that, anyway it is working fine for me to dictate this note.

Except.... I was using dictation with Numbers and this is a really great thing, or it would be if it were reliable. Because actually writing out the numbers of financial figures and account numbers is very tedious, and dictating was a magical help. But then I ran into another problem of doing just a simple calculation on which I started a thread yesterday.

That was two days ago– But today when I go to Numbers trying to dictate it is giving me Bong instead of Bing and no response to voice!

(With these two problems of doing things that should be straightforward (maybe they are for everybody but me?) I'm reminded of the guy from Ford who said a few years ago that computers now are like cars in 1910 – you spent more time under them than going places in them - this is still true.:( )

Any suggestions? (not to use a different software which will take up more learning time and have the same glitches or different ones.)

Reaction score
Do you have enhanced dictation ticked.
System preferences > Keyboard > Dictation tab tick use enhanced dictation box.

Ask a Question