Deleted Mac OS X?

Reaction score
I attempted to install Windows XP Pro on my Mac the other day. I set up a partition, or at least I thought I did. I got to the installation screen and quickly ran through it thinking that I had chosen the small 5gig partition that I had set up using the Bootcamp assistant. Something did not go right though and now I can't even start my Macbook with my Mac OS. I've started my computer holding "option" and I'm only given the option for "Windows", but when I choose it, I'm only given a black screen with a blinking underscore. I inserted an installation disc for Mac OS X and held "C" as the disc says to start the computer with the disc, but even that just led me to the black screen with the blinking underscore.

How can I complete get rid of any signs of Windows and reinstall my Mac OS with my discs? I have no idea how I did what I did.

karazelle

Reaction score
You should be able to boot into the Mac install DVD. Ensure it's DVD #1 you inserted if its those that came with your Mac, otherwise it's just one.

Then, boot the Mac holding down Option, or Alt. It should list all bootable volumes, including the installation DVD. Click the install DVD to boot from there, then it's just an issue of going into Disk Utility and see what you find. In worst case scenario you might need to repartition your disk though :(

Reaction score
My OS was on two discs and I already inserted disc 1 and help Option to reveal the option to book the failed Windows installation or the Mac OS Install, but when I choose the Mac OS Install Disc, I can hear it start to spin fast, but it just goes to the black screen with the blinking underscore.

karazelle

Reaction score
My OS was on two discs and I already inserted disc 1 and help Option to reveal the option to book the failed Windows installation or the Mac OS Install, but when I choose the Mac OS Install Disc, I can hear it start to spin fast, but it just goes to the black screen with the blinking underscore.

See if this can be relevant for your problem: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1454?viewlocale=en_US

Do you know any friends with Macs? In the link in my signature is a brief procedure for how to connect two Macs of any type (intel/PPC doesn't matter) between each other using Firewire directly. Should let you see what still exists and perhaps recover as much as possible. You can also reinstall Leopard on your Mac that way.

In a worst case scenario, you might need to try booting your WinXP CD, remove all partitions in it, then try booting from the Mac DVD again but this will delete all your data, although you did do a backup, right?

Ask a Question