Delete Previous System

Reaction score
Can I delete a folder called "Previous System"?

I'm guessing it's to do with when I reinstalled my system a while ago. Was it Archive and Install or something?

Regards

Mike

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

yes it's from a previous Archive & Install !

As long as all your Apps open as expected, then you can safely delete it.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric, it's now gone. I was initially a bit worried as it asked for my password when I tried to delete it

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

without getting to 'geeky' the reason it asked for your password is that all files and folders on a Mac are 'owned' by someone ! (Unix permissions !)

The files that you were deleting were installed/owned by 'Root' (your system admin account), so to delete them your computer asks you if you have the correct permission to delete them...your password !

Sometimes when installing software your Mac also requires your password this again is because the 'Software Installer' wants to either remove/install/add etc files that are or need to be owned by "Root"...

It's just the computer's way of making sure that you 'really want to do that !"

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric

Ric said:
Hi Mike,
It's just the computer's way of making sure that you 'really want to do that !"

That's why I thought I'd better ask. I was used to being asked for a password when installing files or networking but it was the first time I'd even been asked when deleting files so I thought I better just check

Regards

Mike

Ask a Question