CPU is soooo Slow...spinning wheel all the time

Reaction score
For two weeks, my Mackbook 4.1 running 1.5.8 with 1GB of memory seems to be running in molasses. EVERYTHING is slow.

I've tried restarting and doesn't help.
Even the number of apps and docs open doesn't seem to matter.
I'm not sure if I can find my startup CD, either.

I have BitTorrent and a few other odd little apps but nothing dramatic, I don't believe.

Thanks for any help or tip.

Bill

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
G'day bmassey :)

Have a look at how much free space your MB has ... open any Finder window and you will see the information down the bottom of the window ...

Download and instal OnyX ... run it from your Admin acct and leave the MB alone while OnyX does it's maintenance ... you may be asked to reboot your MB a few times and when you do your last reboot, it'll take longer than usual ... that's perfectly normal.

Check iPhoto's Trash (if you use it) and empty it if it's full .... just right-click the trash icon & select Empty.

Do the same with iMovie ... it has it's own Trash too ...

Maybe you need more RAM? Click on the  in the upper left of the screen. Select "About This Mac" and the next window will list how much memory you currently have installed.

Are you the sole user of the MB? If not you should check the other account the same way as above.

You really need to find the Instal Disc as it's invaluable and sooner or later you may need it.

Let me know how it goes.

Reaction score
My iMac G5 running OSX10.4 is also running slow, especially Safari. I tried to install the correct version of Download and instal OnyX but after I drag the OnyX icon to my Application folder and then try to run it, the icon appears on the doc, and then vanishes. I've never cleaned up my Mac since I bought it in 2006, so I imagine it needs a cleaning. What should I do?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Let's clarify this ....

Also are you sure you installed it correctly?

The below image is for the Snow Leopard version on OnyX but the directions apply to your version.

20101125-nspcf8rws5t9s1q3ggbfsfc3ae.jpg

Reaction score
I'll check that and report back.

Now my Fire Fox and Safari keep crashing. Safari was running very slowly, but Firefox was running fine, but now keeps crashing and sending reports back to Firefox HQ.

Should I just re-install Tiger?

Ask a Question