Converting AVI digital camera files to edit in Imovie

Reaction score
I have two different digital cameras both of which have a video mode. The newer camera uses AVI the older MOV. I have not been able to find a way to convert these files to a format so that I can edit them in Imovies. I have seen PC convert programs but no Mac options. Please help. I have been searching for a long time with no luck. Thanks Brett

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Brett and welcome !

what version of iMovie do you have ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi teapot and Brett,

the reason I asked was because my version of iMovieHD (6.02) will just import a .avi file, it converts it for you...

I'm not sure if it has always been supported though !

Just drag and drop into the 'wells'...

import-imovie-avi.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric
As you I have imovie 6.x I must admit I don't use it much but I seem to remember earlier vesions were a litle fiussy as to the files it would accept.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Teapot !

yes, I think you are correct it certainly used to be quite fussy !

Like you I use it very little, so can't recall which version accepted avi's...maybe it did from the begining ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I shall have a dig around and see what I can find out...

The best I can suggest at the minute is to either get QuickTime Pro or Flip4Mac either will allow you to convert the avi's into .mov's to import into iMovie.

These both cost, so back to Teapots excellent suggestion of ffmpegX, it's a bit tricky to understand at first so let us know if there's anything you're not sure of.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question