Computer won't sleep when booted in Catalina (using Catalina patcher)

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a Mac Pro 3.1 with 32 GB RAM, and fitted with 4 hard drives :

- drive 1 has OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, formatted as Mac OS Extended
- drive 2 has OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, formatted as Mac OS Extended
- drive 3 has no OS, formatted as Mac OS Extended
- drive 4 has OS X 10.15.7 Catalina, formatted as APFS, and installed using the dosdude Catalina patcher tool.

The Catalina install was undertaken 2 weeks ago. It seemed to go fine, and all seems OK, except the computer won't sleep when booted in this drive (the Catalina drive). When I boot into Snow Leopard and El Capitan, sleep works correctly.

I have tried zapping PRAM, reset SMC, adjusting the Energy Saver preferences, but it makes no difference - the computer won't sleep.

Any help in solving this would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Because the Catalina Patchers is a third-party hack, and I don't have access to a similar Mac Pro, it would be very hard to troubleshoot further than you already have. It would probably be best to contact dosdude1 for addional support suggestions.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Because the Catalina Patchers is a third-party hack, and I don't have access to a similar Mac Pro, it would be very hard to troubleshoot further than you already have. It would probably be best to contact dosdude1 for addional support suggestions.

C

Hi Cory. Thanks for that reply. I did contact dosdude via Twitter after I posted on here. He hinted that the issue might be having a non Metal video card. I will look into this in the next few days.

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

No worries, That makes sense and could be the root of the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
Hi again all.

1.One thing I've noticed when booted in Catalina is a very slight lag and slight ghosting when moving the arrow cursor around the screen - would a Metal compatible GPU solve this issue ?

2.Also, I cannot get Blender 2.8 or 3.3.1 to boot in Catalina. Blender 2.8 works perfectly when I use my El Capitan drive - would this be solved by a Metal GPU ?

3.And lastly, would an Nvidia or AMD card be better ? Whichever one I buy will not be an OEM Mac card, it will be a flashed PC card.

Thank you.

Ask a Question