cd drawer

Reaction score
My CD drawer opens on startup and reboot. I've made sure i'm directed to the right startup disk in system preferences, any ideas?
I have a PowerMac G4 Digital Audio 733MHz running OS X 10.4.4

Reaction score
hi..
ths startup disk should be DVD .. is your drive is DVD player?
if you R using the startup disk from the bundle CDs comes with other computers may be it will not work. You should use the commercial CDs.
try to change the CD drive with a new one any model (LG, Sony, liteon, toshiba, any one) I think youe drive IDE so any IBM drive will work (get CD rw DVD ) install it and try to run the CD

Ric

Reaction score
ddibbley said:
My CD drawer opens on startup and reboot. I've made sure i'm directed to the right startup disk in system preferences, any ideas?
I have a PowerMac G4 Digital Audio 733MHz running OS X 10.4.4

Hi there,

not sure if alsdar has understood your question, though I may be completely wrong !!

Is the CD Drawer just opening automatically ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
Hi there,

not sure if alsdar has understood your question, though I may be completely wrong !!

Is the CD Drawer just opening automatically ?

regards

Ric

hi there
yes Ric.. may be I don't understand the case:confused: ..I think that he tried to install some system CDs. sorry for confusing you ..:(

Ric

Reaction score
It's no problem...

...It's nice that people are trying to help one another !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Can I ask what USB peripherals you have plugged in...what type of keyboard and mouse you have ?

Normally this is associated with drive that's on it's way out...sorry.

You can try a cd lens cleaner to see if that helps...

...if not turn the Mac off, open the case and pull ou the the IDE cable from the back of the drive...then turn it back on. (Leave the power cable plugged into the drive.)

If the drive still pops out , then this shows that it is a Hardware problem with the drive and not the Mac.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Maybe a new thread: the motor in my built-in DVD-ROM drive seems to have bust. First, the CD in it didn't show on the desktop, so I couldn't eject it. So I stuck the uncurled paper clip into the little hole, the tray released enough for me to pull it out, but didn't grab when you give it a push inwards. There's a wheel and a button near the hole, but Setting Up booklet and Mac Help doesn't tell you what they are, nor know anything about the motor or mechanism of the 'DVD-ROM drive'. Does this sound terminal?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

does it make any sounds at all ?

Can i ask what model Mac it is ?

Have you tried a restart ? Different disks ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
No sounds.

Hardware Overview:
Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
Machine Model: PowerMac3,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.8)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 450 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 3.2.2f1
Serial Number: CK005080HSF

Different disks: yes.

Restart: no, but wait.

Reaction score
Bingo!

But why did it do that?

Another puzzle: a folder called MP3s containing tracks I took from my CDs to reburn according to composer but never got round to. All have been mysteriously converted to .asx which is Windows Media Player or VLC Media Player & when "opened" tries to connect to a website but fails. I can't import them to iTunes nor convert them in any way I know. How & why did Micro"cuckoo"soft do this?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Whenevere you get any problems a restart is always the best starting point.

As to why, thats the beauty of computers !

The .asx problem I'll have a look at tomorrow.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question