cd does not show up on desk top - powerbook G4

Reaction score
I inserted a cd and it never showed on the desk top I can't eject it either. I've tested the drive with Tech Tool & everything passed. Disk utility doesn't see it.

I've tried shutting down then pressing the shift, ctrl, option & power button, waited and then booted, no cd. Ilife is the cd??

powerbook G4 1.5 17", 10.4.9

I'm open to suggestions. Oh! I've loooked for the familar paper clip hole bummer.

Regards John

Reaction score
Yeah...I've had this happen before...the only suggestion...and what worked for me is to use a pair of needle nose plyers. Restart the mac and hit the eject button while the mac is starting up...and gently pull the cd out while continually hitting the eject button.

Ric

Reaction score
Have you tried holding down the trackpad key whilst it is rebooting ?

regards

Ric

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Well this is Apple's recommended approach and here are a few others that I found in my search.

Please understand that I don't endorse the following fixes and you must exercise caution and proceeding with any of these methods is at your own risk:

• Click on the desktop to get into the Finder, then go under the Finder menu-bar item and choose Preferences. Click on General, then under "Show these items on the Desktop," click on "CDs, DVDs, and iPods."

• Do the Open Firmware "eject cd" thing again, only this time have a credit card handy. When you hear the motor run and you hear the disc trying to get out, insert the credit card about 1/4" to 1/2" into the slot and run it along the upper edge. This is often enough pressure to get the disc to spit out just enough to grab it.

• I recently had a DVD get stuck in my PowerBook G4 drive and couldn't get any of the Apple recommended methods to work (as linked in a previous post). HOWEVER, I just thought I'd let everyone know that after I shut the laptop (put it to sleep) and awoke it later, I heard the DVD spin up in the drive, even though it failed to show on the desktop. Previously, I didn't hear any disk activity.. but once I did, I rebooted it into the open firmware mode and did the 'eject cd' command and it worked (before, this failed).

• For totally unrelated reasons (troubleshooting a sleep/wake problem), I decided to pull out all third party bundles, kexts (those installed from CD's), application enhancers, preference panes, you name it from both my user and from root Library. (I am running 10.3.9) I rebooted. Voila, the disc started spinning and churning like the computer was finally trying to do something with it. The eject button still didn't work, but when I got into open firmware again on reboot, I hit "eject cd" and magically, it came out.

• When all else fails, open iTunes and hit it's Eject. Somehow it's been injected with super eject powers and can force eject any disk in the drive, guaranteed (works with all types of powerbooks and other macs) No restart or holding down needed.

• If that doesn't work, unscrew the PowerBook base, remove the base, and you'll see the drive on the left hand side, you should be able to manually move the stuck disc, enough to pull it out of the slot, (well it worked when a disc got stuck in my PowerBooks SuperDrive.)

• Another way to try and eject the CD:
    1. Boot into Open Firmware: after the startup tone, hold down the following 4 keys until the text screen appears: <option-command-o-f>
    2. When able to type text on the screen, enter the following command and hit the <return> key: eject cd
    3. The CD eject operation should occur. To restart the Mac, enter the following command: mac-boot, and hit the <return> key.
    Note: the command key is the one next to the spacebar with an apple or "propeller" on it while the option key is next to it and can have "alt" on it.

Ask a Question