Can't Install XP with Boot Camp

Reaction score
Hello, I have a genuine XP disc. I used the Boot Camp 2.0 Assistant to guide me through the process. After my MacBook partitioned space for my XP, I restarted the computer. First, I tried installing XP on 'Partition BOOTCAMP [FAT32]', but it gave me a disc error once it restarts. So, I tried deleting that partition and making it NTFS. Then, it said my hal.dll was missing and couldn't boot up. Help here? I tried 4 times already and it didn't work.

My disc works with other computers with no hal.dll problems.

My MacBook:
Running OS X 10.5
1GB RAM
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
250 GB HD

Reaction score
Try going to your mac and erasing the bootcamp partition. If it can't find the partition, try booting of your mac os X disk and deleting it from there. Once your computer is "all mac" again, redo the process, but format the partition as NTFS when given the choice in bootcamp.

Reaction score
I don't think I was given a choice in boot camp whether to format it using NTFS or FAT32...I tried redoing the process (deleting the partition and making it again) about 4 times, and failed.

What bugs me is...I've done it before...installing XP, but I just got a new hard drive, and reinstalled Leopard.

Reaction score
Hal.dll error is a pain in the butt! Firstly, your XP disc needs to be at least SP2 otherwise it will not work, and secondly, XP can only format 32GB in FAT32, so if you chose a partition bigger than this, XP would have automatically formated as NTFS.

The HAL error (Hardware application layer) is very hard to get rid of because it can be a plethora of things wrong causing the hardware anomally - trust me!

You can try the following though - this is supposed to work, although I have not personally tried it, but have tried getting rid of the HAL.DLL error on a windows system and it was a nightmare and I build and fix computers:

Do NOT remove or alter the partition created with BootCamp assistant in the Windows XP installation progress. Just choose it in the installer and format it.
Step - By - Step:
* Start up Mac OS X and run the BootCamp assistant (Applications / Utilities)
*Remove your old Windows partition by choosing to merge the parts back to one.
*Run the assistant again and allocate the space you want for Windows
*Get the Windows XP CD and put it in.
*Choose to install Windows now and reboot the computer.
*Boot from the CD by pressing and holding the “c” after the start up sound.
*Go on normally until you come to the partitioning.
*Select the partition called BootCamp and hit enter. (DO NOT REMOVE IT).
*Choose a full format in the file system of your choice.
*Proceed with installation as normal.

Let me know if it works.

Reaction score
Yea, what ticks me off is that my disc is SP3 :(

And I tried your instructions step by step. At this step:

*Choose a full format in the file system of your choice.

I wasn't given a choice. When the partition list came up, it was like "BOOTCAMP [FAT32]", and I don't know why BootCamp formatted my hard drive as FAT32, since I partitioned 82GB.

Anyway, it automatically went on with the installation, and it restarted and gave me a

'Disc Error...Press Any Key to Restart'

Darn.

Reaction score
Well, problem solved.

I used a different XP CD and I was actually given a choice.

Stupid Windows CD...what a waste of money.

Ask a Question