Can't format a flash drive

Reaction score
Hello:

I cannot seem to get the Disk Utility to yield the the right list of options to format a little flash drive (512 MB) I got today. I just did a 420 GB drive a few weeks ago, and it seemed intuitive, so I am totally confused as to why I cannot find the right options for this.

Anybody have a step by step list?

Craig Smith

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Craig,

this is a 1GB Flash Drive...

1gbusbflashdrive.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric:

It is there, I am trying to attach some screenshots:

I tried just calling it a name (CodeBoyII) and erasing it, but it still is listed as FAT16 format.

I remember few details from the big drive, but I remember it was easy.

Craig

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    115 KB · Views: 855
Reaction score
Worked beautifully, Ric, thank you very much. I had done that already, but only on the Volume, not the drive. It is now just how I want it.

Craig

Reaction score
Here is an interesting twist to the story. After I formatted the drive, I popped in the CD that held copies of the files that were on the other flash drive (that I have misplaced..) to copy everything over to the new drive.

About 1/3 of the way through, the machine reported that the drive was drawing too much power, and would be ejected, which it was. Now, that particular USB port is dead.

This PowerMac is just over 3 years old, and does not have USB 2.0 ports. The flash drive is USB 2.0, as was my previous flash drive (I think). The keyboard is about 2 months old, and I had hooked the flash drive into one of the ports on the back of the keyboard.

When I plug the drive into a 'live port,' the Finder recognizes it, and the main folder structure is there, but most of the folders are empty. The CD has the complete structure of folders and files like the original drive had.

Any thoughts on this?

Ric

Reaction score
casdvm said:
Worked beautifully, Ric, thank you very much. I had done that already, but only on the Volume, not the drive. It is now just how I want it.

Craig

Glad it worked !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Craig,

I would probably reformat again and just use the built in USB ports...

I'll have a look around to see what I can find out...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I have thought about that, Ric, but I am a bit nervous about blowing out a machine based port, although there is no logical reason to fear it, I suppose. I still have my receipt for the keyboard, so I will just get a new one, and I will follow up on the flash drive company as well and see if they have any input.

Pretty weird, though, eh?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Craig,

fair point !

Send it back and get a new one !

Just check on the pack that it says it's USB 1 & 2 compatible...most are.

I would see what the Flash drive company has to say about it blowing up your keyboard...you never know you might get something out of it.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I had a problem with my flash drive..I can see the flash drive under disk utility, but it flashes off and on the page, like it isn't connected correctly. I am getting a little aggravated but I can't do anything about it. I have already tried to format it in the usb 1.1 on the keyboard but that didn't work because it couldn't connect correctly. It is an imation usb clip drive

Reaction score
Don't plug it in the keyboard, plug it directly into the mac - the keyboard may not be supplying enough power.

Reaction score
when I plug it into the mac, it starts flashing and when I plug it into the usb hub that I carried over from my old computer, it stops flashing but I get the same response I got from when it was plugged into my key board.

Ask a Question