Can't delete files

Reaction score
I have a 20" G5 iMac with a 500mb LaCie externel drive

I used Silverkeeper to back up my Documents and Library folders to that drive

Last night I notied that the Library backup seemed to be "stuck" at one point. After trying a few times I finally decided to delete the Library backup from the LaCie drive and do the backup from scratch. That seemed to work OK

However, I now seem to have in my Trashcan a Library folder which contains Application Support / Adobe / Bridge / Cache / Thumbnails which contains about 75 thumbnails and I can't delete this files in Trash.

When I try to delete the LaCia disk spins for a while and then says I get a Finder popup saying "The operation cannot be completed because the item Thumbnails is in use"

Needless to say I'm nut rinning Bridge or any other apps

I can't run "Repiar Permissions" on the LaCie disk

Any ideas - I'm stuck

Regards

Mike

Reaction score
Oops, sods law

As soon as I'd posted I noticed Repair Disk as an option and that seems to have worked

Reaction score
As a followup - what happens to the permissions and why do they need repairing every so often?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Hi Mike,

Repair disk permissions will only be an option on disks with Mac OS installed.

Basically, permissions change when software is installed/updated. Sometimes "system-level" background processes/users can change them or they can be corrupted.

It' ALWAYS a good idea to repair disk permissions before AND after installing software, as well as when you notice things not working correctly.

C

Ask a Question