Can't connect a HP wireless printer to my Mac Air

Reaction score
Bought an HP Office jet Pro 6978 printer and it says that I've successfully connected my printer to my MacAir however, when I try to print something, it says that it cannot find the printer. It also says that I may have incorrectly installed the printer. I'm using Sierra 10.12.6. I can print from my desktop and documents but if you try to print something from an email, it says the selected printer is not available or not installed correctly.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Printer issues can be somewhat tricky to diagnose without having hands-on. Strange that it can print successfully from some place and not others.

-Did you instal any software for the printer - if so, did it come with it, or did you download it from the HP website?
-Which applications will it print files from Desktop/Documents successfully?
-How are you accessing email - using the Mail application, a third-party email application like Outlook/Thunderbird, or via webmail in a browser like Safari/Chrome/Firefox?

C

Reaction score
I downloaded the software from the HP site. I am using Google Chrome for my email. Last night I uninstalled all the HP downloads and started from scratch and just had my MacAir add the printer which allowed me to print from my saved docs and images that are saved on my desktop, but when trying to print an email or a page from a website (a recipe for example) I get the message of the printer not being available or not installed correctly. My daughter is staying with us and she has a MacAir and was able to just add the printer and is able to print without a problem. I also have an Apple airport express that I use for wifi. In the HP software that I originally downloaded there was a message about not being able to set up the printer if it was connected to an airport. Yet on the HP site there are instructions for connecting with an airport. That's why I uninstalled the HP software and just had my computer find the printer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Have you tried using Safari instead of Google Chrome?
-Did you verify the Destination on Chrome's print dialog is the correct printer, or have you tried changing it?
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 10.29.36.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 10.28.20.png

C

Ask a Question