Can't boot up OS 9

Reaction score
My Mac G4 (mirror door) has 4 different operating systems on it: OS 9, 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5. It neatly lets me boot to any of the OS X versions by choosing it in System Preferences > Startup. However, when I just tried to do this with 9, instead of 9 booting up, I just got an icon of a floppy disk with a question mark in the middle of it. OS 9 is definitely in this Mac - the hard disk it's on was inherited from a previous Mac, and OS9 appears as one of the choices in the Startup dialog.

I assume from the icon that it wants me to insert the OS 9 CD, which I have, but I can't open the CD drive door. When I press (and hold) F12 nothing happens.

Is there a key I can press as I boot up the will give me the option to choose other OS's? If not, I may be stuck!

Thanks for your help! :rolleyes:

And nice to have but not crucial: is there a way I can make OS 9 boot? Believe it or not there's one app I have that only runs on 9.

Peyton

Reaction score
I somehow remembered that one can hold down the mouse while booting. When I tried that, it opened the CD drive for me and I could put in the OS 9 CD, which enabled it to turn the floppy disk icon with question mark into a cute little Mac icon with a happy face. But then I saw them message "Sorry, a system error occurred: unimplemented trap. To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key".

When I did that, I got a splash screen saying "Mac OS 9.2: Welcome to Mac OS, Extensions Off". So far, so good... but then the very same error message I just quoted appeared.

What now?

Reaction score
Peyton,

I have the same system as you do. I also am trying to use a program in OS 9; I haven't used it since 2005. I need to edit a book in Quark 4.11 and when I switched to OS 9, I got a kernal panic. Did you figure out how to boot into OS 9? I tried holding the shift key and the mouse; still cannot boot into any OS.

Thanks, Jack

Reaction score
hold down shift key, press power button and keep holding down shift key. Alternatively, boot into OS X, go into preferences pane- startup disk and select the OS you want to boot into

Ask a Question