Can’t access internet

Reaction score
with the new system upgrade yesterday I can no longer access the internet. The system just hangs up. How can I fix this or go back to the last version?

Reaction score
First, when you say "with the new system upgrade yesterday", what exactly do you mean?

Secondly, how are you making posts here?

Third, have you been making backups to an external device? If (hopefully) you are, what software do you use for that? And can you point to a backup that was made before the "new system upgrade"?

Reaction score
It was an IOS system upgrade but I can't tell what the version is because I can't get into that screen.

I made the original post on my iPhone. This response is on my PC at work.

I don't really have a back up - I use Dropbox to back up my files.

Someone suggested that I should restart my wifi/modem to see if that clears anything that might be holding things up but I won't be able to do that until later today when I get home. Do you think that will help?

Thank you for your response.

Reaction score
Yes, turning off, then restarting your router/modem could help. You need to follow the instructions of your ISP (Internet Service Provider) on the steps to do that.

By the way, that system upgrade was an iOS one, correct? If so, then it would not affect your Mac, but would affect an iOS device, like an iPad, iPhone, etc. I upgraded my iPad the other day to the latest version of iOS, and it works fine.

Reaction score
Well, I am about as technical as a turtle. Maybe it isn't called iOS on the computer, but its the computer operating system. I impressed myself thinking i knew what it was. :)

Reaction score
So, some more "basic" questions:

1. What exact Mac OS are you running?

2. If it is Mojave (OS 10.14.x), since the original version, OS 10.14, there have been 3 updates: OS 10.14.1, OS 10.14.2, and OS 10.14.3, and the most recent upgrade was a Supplemental Update to OS 10.14.3 that was released last week. I assume that is the one you mean?

3. Dropbox is definitely nowhere near enough for backing up. It is imperative that you invest in an external device, and start backing up. If you don't, you are asking for trouble.

Quite a number of folks come here for help without a backup (or backups), and thus it is difficult (and at times impossible) to provide assistance. I just hope resetting your modem/router is enough. Again, though, make sure you follow the instructions of your ISP regarding such a reset. Each ISP is different, and it is (in most instances) not something as simple and quick as shutting down, then starting up, the modem/router. If you don't follow the instructions, it could make matters worse!

One other thing: whenever you want to make an update (and especially with the Mac OS), it is so, so critical to have a backup first.

Last edited:

Ask a Question