Bypass Passwords?

Reaction score
Have had an eMac passed on to me. It starts up without problem but there appears to have been 3 previous users each with passwords and so i can't go any further than the start screen.
The computer was left at a recycling shop so there is no info on previous owners.
I already use an eMac but would like to keep the extra one if i could
Is there anyway of getting around this problem, please , without a new install and would a new install override the password anyway?

Reaction score
You need the DVDs to reset the User Passwords. Not a nice thing to hack into old User Accounts, Quicker and nicer to Reformat the Drive and Reinstall the OS. Again you need the eMac or Retail disks, don't use a different computer models DVDs or you will run into problems.

Reaction score
Thanks, you have told me what i thought was the case. I absolutely don't have any interest in hacking into the accounts, i would have liked to be able to see the specs as to whether it can run Leopard or just Tiger but i can't get into anything. I suppose the model number is somewhere on the outside? I have never installed a system and could have practiced in prep for maybe doing my own upgrade to Leopard on this machine that i currently use but it would cost too much. Surely people should somehow remove their data before randomly disposing of a computer. i will ask you how to do it if i am faced with the situation. Would there be any bits worth taking out of it for parts or increasing memory on this one?

Reaction score
The best OS for the eMac is Tiger.

Always good to have more RAM.

The eMac was a great workhorse, they just keep going, the Hard-drive is the most likely to die. The problem is that the internal plastics become fragile with age, so pulling it apart to replace something is likely to break other things.

Reaction score
Dilemmas. Interesting comment about the fragility of the plastics. I have 2 eMacs each 1Ghz and therefore as far as i know can run Leopard, i have left Panther in one and bought this one for $60 with clean install of Tiger. Been wonderful. With these 2 computers and now the extra one coming into the house i figure i could afford to lose one if something goes wrong. Panther has an iPhoto program that Tiger doesn't have. I just have to think-on . Don't have spare money or in depth knowledge but its a great journey as they say.

Reaction score
No, Tiger has iPhoto, too. Its a standard part of iLife on every Mac.

The eMacs just don't have the RAM to do Leopard justice, better to have Tiger running well, than the eMac struggling. The Hard drive has to do a lot more work with limited RAM, and that's the part most likely to fail.

Yes, its fun to see the differences, but the G4s are now give-away, end-of-life. The best low budget Mac currently is the MacMini, start saving now;-)

Nice to see another Kiwi...

Reaction score
I think that is probably very good advice. my son said the single best thing to help a computer run better is more memory.It was just momentarily exciting to know i have 2x1Ghz units.
I started about 3 years ago on a "disposed" of little iMac. worked very well but then got my first eMac for nothing.Absolutely had to move up from Panther. It was struggling to cope. I will start watching for MacMinis.
Is there a limit to the memory that can be added?
I'm aware there is an iPhoto on Tiger but it seems different or more complicated somehow.
Finder will find it for me but i don't recognise it. I also read that you need to get iLife as an extra.Better have another look. i don't know what the previous owners installed.
On Panther the icon is in the dock, so its easily opened. I use it in a simple form. Good for storing the pictures and easy to email from.

Ask a Question