Burning error

Reaction score
I am using OSX 10.4.8. I can burn cd's using iTunes with no problem, but when I try to burn a disc off the desktop, (usually dragging files to the cd and clicking on "burn disc") I get this error message:

Burning the disc failed because communication to the disc drive failed. (Eror code 0×80020022)

This has only started happening within the last few weeks. I am using the Dalmatian iMac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

Reaction score
Hi, and welcome :)

Do you have any Norton products installed by any chance?

Reaction score
When I have come across this problem before, it has mainly been due to Norton scanning the disc while OSX is trying to write to it, so it stops the write proceedure and comes up with the error message.

At other times it can be a hardware issue, but as you burn successfully within itunes, the only other thing I can think of is are you leaving enough room on the disc so that it can close the writing off at the end or are you filling it right up?

Reaction score
No, because actually I thought of that. I tried burning a folder of just 200 some odd mb, onto a 700 mb disc after getting frustrated that a file of just 500 mb wouldn't burn, to no avail.

The fact that it's happening so sporadically is very frustrating. My daughter has several mp3s in my iTunes. I compiled a playlist of all her tunes that should have fit onto one disc. I got the error. I cut the playlist in half, successfully burned the first half, and got the error message when trying to burn the second, which was actually smaller than the first one!!

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
What speed is the media you are using, and also what speed is it set to burn at?

Reaction score
I have no idea how to tell the speed of the media, but I usually have iTunes set to burn at max speed. is that a bad thing?

Reaction score
The max speed should be written on the media, or certainly on the packaging.

It should say something like 8x or 12x or whatever.

Try turning the speed down in itunes, and in your media settings on OSX and see if that makes a difference.

Additionally, if it is happening "sporadically" as you say, could also indicate the imminent failure of the drive in question.

Reaction score
You are welcome, let us know how it goes :)

I would also suggest trying different media to burn to, have you changed your brand recently? It could be damaged media that is causing the problem or they are not compatible speed wise etc....

Ask a Question