Broadband modem incompatibility with Tiger

Reaction score
When I changed to broadband the supplier told me to buy a Fujitsu FDX310 modem. Now it seems it has been discontinued and they aren't writing any new drivers for it. So it won't work with MacOS 10.4 Tiger. Would it be OK to replace it with any other modem, or are there others that aren't Tiger-compatible. Or could someone advise me on which modem to buy?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I take it this is a USB modem ?

Can I ask how many computers do you need to hook up to the internet ?

Do they neeed wireless ?

What equipment do you have on your network, preinters etc ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I have just a G4 with a USB hub from which I run an Epson Stylus Scan 2500 printer/scanner/photocopier; a Logitech cordless optical mouse; keyboard; and the modem.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

personally I would go with a Netgear DG 834.

I have installed lots of these and found them to be very good.

They are modems, routers and firewalls all in one box.

They are extremely easy to set up.

You won't have any more incompatibllty problems, because they connect via ethernet to your Mac, they do not require any 'drivers'...no software is loaded onto your Mac.

I have a few of them myself !

The telephone socket from the wall plugs into the Netgear, then you take an ethernet cable from the Netgear to the Mac.

You then open up your web browser and type in an address, something like '192.168.0.1' this takes you to the admin page where you then set it up.

It is all very easy to do.

Plus it has a built in hardware Firewall, which protects your compter from prying eyes !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,
Is the cable from the back of the modem to the hub, with a 'cork' on it, an ethernet cable?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

the 'cork' is a magnet...if I am correct in what you are talking about ;-)

Whithout being able to see it, I would guess that it is a USB cable.

You possibly don't have an ethernet cable...

What model G4 Mac, do you have and I'll try and show you a picture !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Ethernet cables look like this...

ethernet1.jpg

ethernet2.jpg

ethernet3.jpg

They come in various lengths, depending on where you are going to 'site' your Computer etc

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I've looked in my Old Cables Anonymous box and found one that might be it. It doesn't have a 'cork'. (I've found another cable with 2 'corks' on) One end is the thin rectangle divided longways into a white plastic blocker and a hole with a line of 4 little round holes in the bottom, and this end plugs into the back of the Power Mac G4 next to the lead to the USB hub, while the other end has a squarish hole with the 4 little round holes at the corners of a square which plugs into the back of the modem. Both ends have the asymmetrical bent trident (lopsided psi) symbol embossed in the plastic. (Oh no, that must be another USB cable.) If that isn't it I can always bike into town and buy one at the Apple Dealer (if they're still in business).

I've ordered a Netgear DG 834 and now will upgrade to Tiger.

Thanks a lot Ric

Bob

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

the hole in the back of you Mac that is for a Ethernet cable should have a symbol like this next to it...

ethernet.gif

I can't remember if one comes with it or not ? I'll have a look in new box tomorrrow...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

you should get an Ethernet cable supplied !

Let us know, how you get on.

If you need any help configuring, give us a shout !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Modem arrived this morning. I joined it all up and followed the instructions contained in macosx.html on the CD. When it got to the end of the System Preferences/Network and all I had to do was click on "Apply Now" in the bottom right hand corner of the TCP/IP window, it was greyed out.

Reaction score
Modem arrived this morning. I joined it all up and followed the instructions contained in macosx.html on the CD. When it got to the end of the System Preferences/Network and all I had to do was click on "Apply Now" in the bottom right hand corner of the TCP/IP window, it was greyed out.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I'm not sure I understand you ?

You've plugged it in, is it working ?

What does the instructions tell you to do in System Prefs ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Modem arrived this morning. I joined it all up and followed the installation instructions in macosx.html in Tools/Installation Asst on the CD. Went through System Preferences/Network/TCP/IP until it told me to click on "Apply Now" in the bottom right hand corner. It was greyed out.
The paper instructions said "If software usually logs you into the Internet, do not run it."
They also wanted me to Log in to the DG834 by typing http://192.168.0.1 into nternet Explorer or Netscape Navigator to connect to the router. But they tried to use the Internet & couldn't.
I'm baffled.
Bob

Ric

Reaction score
Step 2

Plug the Ethernet cable into the Mac and DG834...

Turn the DG834 on.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Step 3

Go to Safari, or any web browser that you want and type

into the address bar...

netgearAddress.jpg

then press return.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Step 4

You should now see a screen like this...

netgearAdmin002.jpg

Type in here your username and password from the Netgear Manual...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Step 5

Now you are in the Netgear Admin Page...

From here you can run the Setup Wizard...it should start automatically for you if not then click here...

netgearAdmin003.jpg

regards

Ric

Ask a Question