blinking ? marks and stuff

Reaction score
A friend asked me for help with his DV iMac that only displays the blinking ? marks with the arrows. I need to know how to help him resurrect his computer. He does not have the original discs and I am wondering if I can help him with the discs that came with my G5, iMac??? He was told his computer should be running at least ver 10 and my discs are 10.3.

Before posting this I attempted to copy one of the G5 discs, but with no luck, files were too big?? Now what???

Thanks
jensmac:(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

You could try booting the iMac from the Disks you have...

You can't copy the DVD that you have unless you have a Dual Burner...

Try booting his Mac with your disk's and running Disk Utility on it...

If you are 'local' to your Friend then you could get his iMac and plug it into your Mac (Firewire to Firewire) then reboot his Mac holding down the 't' key on his Mac this will turn his Mac into Target Firewire Mode...

His Mac drive will then show up on your Desktop...and then you can start fault finding, Run Disk Utility etc...Backup thier stuff..

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. So we decided to have him bring his computer to my location, and I will use my discs on his computer. Never really had to do this before....especially disk first aid.....any additional info on how to make that process go smoothly???

I didn't know about the connecting the computers, sounds interesting, for future reference. I have a G3 iMac at home and a G5.

jen

Reaction score
Well I have tried to resurrect this mac. I used the Install Disc 1, held the C key, and the computer spit the disc back out. It did not appear to do anything for the computer at all. Then I tried the firmware disc, I got a screen, to type mac-boot in and then it went back to alternating the displaying of the question mark and mac faces. Ughh!! Is there another step or thing to try? I have exhausted the suggestions on the Apple Support page.....all except "call an Apple Support Representative" Any suggestions or guesses as to what is wrong if this process didn't work??? Is it the hard drive is irrepairable??

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there, have you got a firewire cable ?

Have you tried target disk ?

Let me know if you're not sure what I mean !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question