Big Sound problem...

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums, so sorry about any semantic gaffes...

Geez, I think I fried my sound somehow. (See how technologically literate I am?) I was listening to music on my 15" powerbook w/ iTunes with one of those tape/headphone jack adapters so I could use the car stereos on a trip. The car was started and restarted while the computer was still connected to the tape deck via the adapter. Soon after, I found that neither my built-in speakers nor my headphone jack worked. (My dad suggested that some voltage "may have entered through the headphone jack and messed it up"). I restarted, took batteries out, and troubleshot with friends. I messed with the sound in "system preference" and in "iTunes" and I'm pretty sure this is a hardware problem. If so, I'm pretty sure I'm not under Mac warranty (they apparently won't cover damages caused by non-apple products...oops). What is suggested to remedy the sound problem? I'd like some sound.

My computer doesn't even make that cute "plop plop plop" sound when I mess with the volume anymore!
:confused:
Please help!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

I think your Dad may well be right, they ususally are !

When you restart the Mac, does it make it's chimes ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
well, no chimes. when i boot up, i hear electrical "pulses" like the speakers are trying to work. any idea to whom i should take this? i don't have a warranty, so i guess i shouldn't worry too much about voiding it?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

last thing to try...restart using the System Software CD / DVD and see if the sound works...this should prove one way or another if it is hardware of software.

Do you have any Apple Dealers/shops near you, they are your best bet.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question