Battery Calculating all the time

Reaction score
Hi I have a Macbook 1,1 2Ggz, 1Gb ram all software updates done which has decided today to show calculating (or 99%) next to the battery icon and the charge light on the charger plug is red all the time.The battery has 4 solid green lights and 1 flashing green lights on it and does not seem to be getting hot. Any ideas what might be going on? I don't remember seeing this happen before and it has been going on for a couple pf hours now. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
This happens to me on and off. I believe that it's due to the battery slowly becoming "smaller" with age (i.e. older batteries hold less charge) and therefore it can't charge up to what the max should be. Or it could just be a display issue, and that your battery is 99.99999% charged but wants to show that as 99 instead of 100. Most likely something needs to be reset somewhere - Apple suggests calibrating your battery every month or so by letting it run dry until the MacBook turns off by itself, then letting the computer rest overnight before charging it up to full the next day.

Either way, you should let it run off the battery for a while anyway just to test that it isn't something more serious like a battery fault/damage. As long as there's no overheating, decreased performance or battery discharging after 5 minutes or something, all should be well.

Reaction score
Thanks Muirdach, I disconnected my power lead and the display reads 5.32 (after about 2 mins) and the battery icon returns to black. Forgot to say in the original post the battery icon is greyed out with a lightning thing in the icon with the power lead attached. Will let you know if things return to normal after a total discharge. If not I'm glad I took out applecare.....)))...........ok it now reads 5.59........and now 5.02....that was in the space of about 1 min.........now 4.40......not good...will get back to you.

Reaction score
Don't forget that it takes a little while for the time estimation to calibrate based on what you're doing e.g. what programs are running, how bright your screen is etc. So don't be too alarmed if it jumps around for the first little bit.

Reaction score
No probs seems to have settled at 4.53, will get back to cooking my steak and eggs and check it in a while. Thanks again

Reaction score
Would e-mail you some, but I am afraid it was so nice I forced myself to eat it all.............battery seems to be holding out ok, it is now showing about 2.26......am going to let run down completly........

Ask a Question