Backup Software

Ric

Reaction score
SilverKeeper is a freeware application from LaCie that automates backups to external storage devices like hard drives, and other removable storage devices that have IDE, ATA/ATAPI, SCSI, USB, or FireWire interfaces.

Should work with Panther !

Haven't used it myself, so no idea if any good !

SilverKeeper

Ric

Reaction score
Even though this one is mentioned else where on this site:

Carbon Copy Cloner

Definately worth a look for backups, spare boot drives etc.

Quote from CCC website:

Have you ever wanted a simple, complete, bootable backup of your hard drive? Have you ever wanted to upgrade to a larger hard drive with minimal hassle and without reinstalling your OS and all of your applications? Have you ever wanted to move your entire Mac OS X installation to a new computer? Then CCC is the tool for you! CCC makes these tasks simple by harnessing the Unix power built into Mac OS X. In addition to the features that CCC has provided in the past, version 2 offers synchronization of the source and target as well as scheduled backup tasks. Now you can setup a regular backup regimen that occurs in the background, even if you are not logged in! Version 2 also offers enhancements for lab administrators, including the option to run pre and post-flight shell scripts, the ability to modify the list of items to be removed at the end of a clone, and the ability to create a disk image on the fly. One of CCC 2's most exciting features is the ability to create a NetBoot image from a fully customized Mac OS X installation. Version 2.1.1 offers the ability to create ASR-ready disk images and includes some minor bug fixes and improvements to the documentation.

This one I have used and do recommend. (this software whilst free to download and use, is donationware - please donate if you find it useful !!!)

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Ric said:
SilverKeeper is a freeware application from LaCie that automates backups to external storage devices like hard drives, and other removable storage devices that have IDE, ATA/ATAPI, SCSI, USB, or FireWire interfaces.

SilverKeeper

I use SilverKeeper to backup several files on my Mac to my external LaCie FW800 drive every night at 4 a.m. Works like a charm. No problems at all. It supports copying only changed files. LaCie is a great company.

C

Ric

Reaction score
Yes, I've had my fair share of D2 or LaCie products over the years...

Always been reliable.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Pre the acquisition/merger of LaCie and APS Tech, I exclusively used APS Tech drives/externals. They were a great, fun company. LaCie is continuing and still making great products.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Ric said:

SilverKeeper
New version out today that supports Tiger.

C

Ric

Reaction score
Very good, easy to use, used it to backup one Mac before installing Tiger...

Ask a Question