Backing up with time machine

Reaction score
What's the best way to back up photos using Time Machine?

I've got a new little 300gig external drive, works good but I'm not sure how to get the best functionality out of it. I've partitioned it roughly in half, using one side as a complete backup of my macbook hard disk and the other for, well, whatever I like.

My question is this: If I back up the whole internal disk a couple of times using time machine, then remove most of my photos (about 50 gig) off it to make a bit of workable space, should I worry about the backup disk getting full, and time machine 'dropping' my initial couple of backups (i.e. the ones with most of my photo library on) as it makes new, fresh backups?

I gave time machine 120gig of space to play with as that's the size of the internal disk, but I'm guessing that may not be enough as TM will back up all kinds of things I put on, and then take off again over time.

I'm thinking it may be simpler to just exclude the iphoto library from time machine and save my photos in a seperate partition, one that's big enough for my current and future pictures.

They're all copied onto dvd a couple of times, so I'm not worried about losing the actual data, but I'm looking at this 300gig drive and wondering if it's big enough, which seems silly! I could use the whole drive for time machine, I suppose.

Any helpful thoughts on this one? How does everyone else deal with convenient, sequetntial photo backups?

Cheers,

Pog

Ask a Question