Backing Up my Macbook OS X

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am posting in the right place. I am pretty new at all of this and hopefully about to learn and understand a lot more!:)

I am trying to figure out how to best back-up my computer. What I am most concerned about saving is pics, docs, well everything really!

I have the Back Up application with the little umbrella and attempted to set up a regular back up. I think its attempting to back everything up to the idisk. Is that part of my computer? I ask this b/c I also am a .mac (or now mobileme) subscriber and I now see that when I sign in online there is an idisk there and I remember being told I can back stuff onto macs server. I started to do some of this with my pics but it was tedious.

Should I just get a hard drive? Which one?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused::biggrin:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

ok, well I would use either SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to make a backup to an external drive.

Or you could get yourself Leopard (OS 10.5) and then use the inbuilt software 'Timemachine' to backup to your new external drive...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ok, so what you are saying is that I purchase an external hard drive (anyone in particular or do they all work?) and then I need to use a program to get it onto the external?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you don't need an external drive...you could back up to cd's or dvd's your choice ;-)

You don't have to 'buy' any software you can just 'physically' copy the files across yourself...but you need to know where all the files are that you want ! ( all of your user folder)

Most people that 'have' backup software don't actually use it..it needs to be automatic for people to use it.

All hard drives are pretty much equal, some people will like one make and have had bad experiences with others...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Can I use the back up program I already have? It appears I can program it to remind me daily/weekly etc. I heard I need mac specific cds/dvds. Is that true? Can I resuse the same dvd over and over or do I need to keep using new ones?

Sorry for all the questions-I am really trying to understand this fully.

Thanks so much for all your time and help!

Ask a Question