Automator messed up my folders...

Ric

Reaction score
Posted on behalf of datisit

my name is Darcy, and on monday night( 20th feb.) i ran an automator action to move all folders on my desktop to a folder i'd made called FOLDERS. it would have worked if i'd changed the little drop down bar from COMPUTER to DESKTOP. i hadnt so now all my folders are currently in the folder, FOLDERS.

is there a way of putting all the folders in there right place again ( i dont know where some go) or restarting, restoring (watever u call it) my computer to the night before it happened. PLEASE HELP

also this has nothing to do with it but i have some how mannaged to 'dissable' my dragg and drop feature in finder........ don't ask me how........

please get back to me as soon as u can because im really bugged off a bout my com at the mom. especially since i heard that on windows u can just restore ur com. to a date wath one click

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Darcy & welcome,

I have reposted your email message above...I get a lot of emails and some I miss...so if anyone needs help they are best posting in the Forums, more people see it and can then help !

So if I get what happened...

Is your Username on the computer..."computer"

darcy001.jpg
darcy002.jpg

Was this the bit that you went wrong at...

If so then all the Folders that were in the Folder "Computer" have now moved to your Folder call "Folders".

To get it back to normal you need to move these folders back to the Folder "Computer" which is in the Users Folder...

darcy003.jpg

The picture above shows the default folders that should be there...

Let me know if this isn't very clear...

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
yes the first bit is right about all folders from computer but the thing is i dont av a folder called computer. it actually took almost all of my folders from within the computer itself and put them in that one place.
if i could show a picture of the folder 'FOLDERS' i would but it mught av to be spread over the next page........

here is a picture of my acount though oh wait .......oh i seem to av lost grab in the menu bar and it wont let me use a full picy......its to big.....o wait now its an invalid file...............View attachment 441
oh did that work i dont know but any way most of the folders that were mooved id never heard of like ....what on earth is folder 'A'..........

iv also lost my folder movies from the side bar, there is no option to put it there, i have lost my icon for the music folder. oh and the folder ' DISK IMAGE' well i made that last night becasue i was looking at older forums to do with restore and i also downloaded
"cccloner" thing just to see what i could do with it but i thought i should wait until i sort this thing out.

Reaction score
by the way i am running tiger 10.4.5. 1.42 GHz Power PC g4

512 MB Built in

and also if u r typing anything technical like start up disks can u tell me hot to do it because im not so sure about that

tyvm DC

Reaction score
omg my computer has spazed up now i cnt play my game my itunes library is moved out of library........... what the hell is wrong with my com

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

can you do a screengrab of your windows and email it me...

(e-mail address removed)

then we can have a look to see what's happening...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

sorry for the delay...

I have received your pics thanks...

Do you know how to create a "New User Account"

regards

Ric

Reaction score
so anoying now wenever i quite itunes and reopen it all my music is gone.
i can the artists back but all the playlists r gone, podcasts.

Ric

Reaction score
...from what you've said you just need to move the folders "back" to where they came from.

If you create a new user Account you can then look at the "Structure' of the Folders to put yours back in the correct order...

Normally I would suggest doing an Archive and Install...but if your folders aren't in the correct place to start with it would make it even messier !

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
if i make a new acount wont it mean all saved changes will be lost............?

Ric

Reaction score
This is a "picture" of a standard Folder Structure...

standardaccount.jpg

Compare it to your 'Home Folder'...if you can email me a pic of your home folder we can compare and try and see what's missing/moved....

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
datisit said:
if i make a new acount wont it mean all saved changes will be lost............?

No it wont...you can have lots of different accounts on one computer...

All for individual users...one for Mom, Dad...Sister etc....then whenever they use the Mac it's set up for them....they can only access their stuff and no one elses...

Anyway for now you can ignore the new account bit I have posted a picture above of what you needed to see...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
i wnt on my new acount and it diddnt have alll the stuf this one does, just the apps.........

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

sorry you have misunderstood what I meant.

I am away all day tomorrow...but I will try and give you a full plan tomorrow night of what to do.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

apologies for the delay...how are you getting on...you have my full attention!

regards

Ric

Reaction score
well i have been seareching for problemos and found that acpperantly i have no more memory left.......lol yer right.................apparently i have used 55G of mem.

what i think happened is when i did the automator action (i did it twice) it actually somehow tripled all my files look at thisView attachment Picture 1.bmp

Reaction score
i dont really understand how automator did it because it had nothing to do with what i was doing but somehow i have no memory

im taking it up to apple store next monday im getting a booking time................

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for info...

It looks like when Automator did its 'thing' it has duplicated a few of your folders...and has left you with no hard drive space...

If your aren't sure what to do then the Apple Store is probably your best bet...

When you go ask lots of questions...if you are not sure what they are doing ask them to explain...they are normally very helpfull and should hopefully show you what has happened and how to fix it in the future...

...let us know how you get on.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question