argg... keychain laziness

Reaction score
I don't understand why the heck my keychain passwords and logins don't work. Or rather work completely randomly!!! Why is that?!
I just reinstalled (clean install, not a fresh reinstall) 10.4.6 and many things are soooo much better, but this hasn't resolved the keychain poopie moodiness. (it was present before, but not nearly as much) I have cleaned and repaired my permissions, I have reset the keychain and rebuilt every one, I have run the keychain maintenance, I don't know what else to do!
It occurs MOST especially in Mail. Practically every third check, Mail doesn't remember my passwords, which never change for my email server. And every-time I ask it to keep in keychain and every-time it doesn't remember it! Random websites will it fill in my account and password, and I have gone to re-do them. It doesn't come up much anymore asking to remember them. It's very very very frustrating. Not life threatening obviously, but really frustrating. Esp since my memory on what my logins are for different sites is stinky.
Has anyone experienced this? I am very much wanting to use a new email program, any email app suggestions?? (for a poor artist/student)
Any suggestions as how to fix it?

I am running 10.4.6 on an ibook powerpc G4 1.42, and the accompanying Mail; which all of my system is updated with the latest little updates. I use Camino 1.0.1.
My preferences say to use the keychain, always... thanks for any thoughts!

Reaction score
Hi rooter,

This happens to me sometimes. It tends to happen with Mail and with the Airport settings as I have my SSID hidden, and have to key in everything to log on again.

It doesn't happen as often as you seem to be experiencing though - but it does happen!

I am not sure what causes it - I just put it down to a bug. It seems to have improved a little with the last update.

There is probably a way to save all keychain passwords and then just import them in when needed, although I have not looked into it. That would still not solve the problem though.

Reaction score
Thanks, Kyomii -
It's a bit of a comfort, for some reason, to know that other people have similar problems. Not that it fixes anything. If you figure it out, let me know! As will I.

Reaction score
It happens to me as well. Every now and then it forgets some mail passwords or some sites' passwords

It is a bit annoying

Ric

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have you had a look in Applications-->Utilities-->Keychain Access

this application allows you to manage your keychains.

I would be interested to know how many keychains you have...

ie if Mail has random problems then hae a look to see how many 'Keychains ' there are for it...do they all have the correct password in...

Sometimes deleting the relevant Keychain and then letting it get recreated the next time you access the 'bit' can cure the problem...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question