Application quit unexpectedly

Reaction score
Hi! I have had my Mac for about six months. Recently I have had lots of trouble with it. Now almost all applications quit when I try to open them. I get the message "The application quit unexpectedly". This happens for all microsoft office applications, adobe acrobat reader, Azureus bittorrent client etc. Some applications work fine eg VLC player. How can I solve this problem? Shall I reformat the computer or try to install the items again? I have tried to install some items but without any luck. I am ni mac expert so any help is most appreciated!

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB

Reaction score
You might try some regular routine maintenance. When applications quit unexpectedly, sometimes that can be a sign of damaged preferences.

Start with repairing permissions. According to Apple, occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from working as it should. See this article. So, you might want to try to run Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). Open the application, select the mounted volume for your hard drive and click "repair disk permissions."

If the above doesn't work, you might try checking your preferences. Run Preferential Treatment to see if you have any corrupted preferences.

There is also this article on the Apple site about troubleshooting software.

Ask a Question