Applescript 7.5 - 10.3

Reaction score
Hi

I bought a book off eBay "Applescript For Dummies" don't laugh :)
anyway it said you are bidding on applescript for dummies and I won it
then today it came *opens box* .... and applescript for dummies is there
Applescript for dummies

which covers system 7.5 :eek:

Now when I was bidding for it I assumed it was an updated version
second edition

But I'v looked through it and the scripting is almost identicle to todays counterpart and it looks like I could learn a thing or 3 from it but, I was just asking if it would work or should i just throw it away ?

Ric

Reaction score
I bought a book off eBay "Applescript For Dummies" don't laugh...
I would never laugh, a lot of the "Dummies" range of books are very good, I have bought a few myself over the years. (Always ask the buyer questions on eBay !!!)

The book will give you some very useful info, all my knowledge of Applescipt comes from pre-OS X so it all still applies though there are some differences.

Try the examples in it, and see what works, take it from there.

I have a load of Applescript training videos on CD some where, I'll try and find them, they will be for pre OS X but they will certainly help if you want to learn.

One good way of learning good stuff, is over at VTC they used to do training cd's which were excellent, but now with broadband I think you can sign up for around 30 USD a month and watch/download? all of their training videos. With the current exchange rate, that's only about 50p a day !

I have not used the online service, but I have had some of their cd's over the years which have been excellent.

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
I should of mentioned any references to finder scripts in you book definately won't work.

It should however give you an idea of what you can use Applescript for, Folder Actions can be very good.

Are you aware that you can record some Applications using the script editor, the Finder is recordable in script editor.

Have a look on the Applescript website, a good place to start. Lot's of info there.

Applescript, can be used for all sorts:

Code:
tell application "Finder"
duplicate folder "Documents" of folder "Danster" of folder "Users" of startup disk to disk "myiPod" with replacing
end tell

tell application "finder"
Which program should receive the next instructions...

duplicate folder "Documents" of folder "Danster" of folder "Users" of startup disk to disk "myiPod" with replacing
Copy the folder called "Danster" which is in the Users folder which is on you hard disk (replace with any folder name that is inside your users folder) and all of it's contents to the currently mounted iPod, it will without asking replace the previous folder on the iPod.

Ends the instructions to that program, end of the block.

You could add error checking routines etc this script to check the iPod was there etc.

Like we said back in the Virus thread, very powerful.

Ric

Reaction score
Code:
 [left]tell application "Finder"
activate me
beep
display dialog "Backup of files, completed. Goodnight !" buttons "Cool"
end tell[/left]

Once you start with Applescript, it can be quite addictive. I like the fact that you can program your computer to do all sorts of things automatically, I use it a lot both commercially and at home.​

Reaction score
Instead of the display dialog I use the say command using Victoria
("Goodnight Darling")

Somehow that seems much better doesn't it hehehe :D

Ric

Reaction score
Yes it does, didn't realise you'd got that far !

no "say command" required here: "Wife 1.0" is called Victoria !!!!

Damn that's me in trouble again...

can't find the application dictionary for "Wife 1.0", I wonder if Cory's got one?

Ask a Question