Apple LCD Display not working past OS 10.3.3!

Reaction score
Hi All, My 17" Apple (LCD) Studio Display detects a wrong video format or is saying that it's incompatible when i upgrade my OS to anything above 10.3.3.
Basically the computer boots up and when it gets to the blue screen with the loading bar the monitor dies and the power light flashes 3 short times consecutively.
It will however work in Safe Mode. I've tried reseting the PRAM and i think the resolution is set to where it should be (but not entirely sure).
I know that other systems exactly the same as mine work fine on 10.4.
My graphics card is the Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition.
Has anyone else had this problem or can anybody give some advise as to how to solve it?

I would most appreciate it!!

My system is a Powermac G4 1.25 Ghz Dual (MMD) 2G RAM

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

I know that other systems exactly the same as mine work fine on 10.4.

Can you check on these other systems what version of firmware the card has ?

Does your video card have the latest firmware ?

What OS have you currently got installed ? (10.4.?)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !Ric

Hi Ric, Thanks.

Can you check on these other systems what version of firmware the card has ? Does your video card have the latest firmware ?Ric

I'm not sure how i can check to be honest.. i did download what i think is the latest ROM update from ATI but that didn't make any difference. I'll ask one of the people i've been chatting with on another forum with the same set-up if he knows what firmware version he's got.

What OS have you currently got installed ? (10.4.?)Ric

The OS on there at the moment is 10.3.3 (the highest working OS). I'm currently trying to get it working on 10.3.9 and then 10.4.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for the info.

You should be able to go straight to the 10.4 and skip the 10.3.9 update.

When you boot from the 10.4 DVD do you get the blue screen ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I haven't got an install disc for 10.4 as yet but the problem is from 10.3.4 anyway so if i can get it working between that and 10.3.9 then i'm sure the problem will be fixed and i can go and buy 10.4.

I'm thinking it maybe a corrupt kext. file or maybe one that shouldn't be there but i wouldn't know where to start finding it and i don't want to remove anything that might be essential. I have to work in safe mode now as i'm on 10.3.9. and i've tried reseting the PRAM and going to Open Firmware mode and doing a reset there and still the same problem... It boots untill the blue screen and then black with the flashing power light... it also is a bit scratchy with some dodgy lines flickering just before it goes black.

Help is definitely needed! :(

Ric

Reaction score
Have you tried to do an Archive and Install, this would/should solve a corrupt kext file ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Have you tried to do an Archive and Install, this would/should solve a corrupt kext file ?

regards

Ric

No but i would need a bootable cd/dvd of an OS 10.3.4 or higher no? Or is there any other way of doing it?

I have a bootable Install disc for 3 but the monitor works fine on that.

Ric

Reaction score
Well, I would use the 10.3.0 install disk, do the Archive and Install then get the Combo updater from the Apple Website and do the update to 10.3.9

Once you have done the Archive and Install...and rebooted, stop Software Update from automatically doing the update and download this Combo update then reboot, run Repair Permissions and see how you go...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Well, I would use the 10.3.0 install disk, do the Archive and Install then get the Combo updater from the Apple Website and do the update to 10.3.9Ric

Hasn't worked unfortunately. Very annoying, all the hardware should be compatible, and works fine in 10.3.3 and in safe mode on the higher operating systems. Very strange. :rolleyes:
Do i need to buy a new graphics card do you think?:confused:

Ric

Reaction score
This page has a reference to your Card and Tiger...

So I presume it should work !

I'll do a bit more digging tomorrow !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm very pleased to announce that i solved the problem. I thought i would let you all know and jot it down here so if anybody else has the same problem in the future then the solution can be found. Basically as far as i can tell Apple stopped supporting monitors with an ADC connection at 10.3.4. Since the Radeon 9000 pro mac edition has both ADC and DVI i was able to get around it by buying the ADC to DVI adapter and hey presto!

Ask a Question