Any way to mount sparseimages over s3fs ?

Discussion in 'Programmer Misc' started by Geico Caveman, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. $ hdiutil create MacHD -size 50G -type SPARSE -fs HFS+ -layout GPTSPUD  
    -stretch 50G -volname MacintoshHD 
     
    creates a sparseimage 
     
    $ hdiutil attach MacHD.sparseimage 
    hdiutil: attach failed - Illegal seek 
     
    that I cannot mount. 
     
    The image is located on a fuse filesystem (Amazon S3 mounted through s3fs).

    If I create the same image on local hard disk, it mounts without any issues. 
     
    Geico Caveman, Jul 9, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Geico Caveman

    Simon Slavin Guest

    Crossposting between different groups in the c.s.m.* hierarchy is
    forbidden. See the charter. Consider carefully which group
    isappropriate to your problem and post just there. Do not multipost.

    Simon.

    --
    I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 192 days.
    You should really try it!
    http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo
     
    Simon Slavin, Jul 9, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. In article <>, Simon Slavin
    <> wrote:

    > Crossposting between different groups in the c.s.m.* hierarchy is
    > forbidden. See the charter. Consider carefully which group
    > isappropriate to your problem and post just there. Do not multipost.


    Cross posting, which he did, is preferred and just fine. get a new
    horse.

    --
    Kiva - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/lender/david87375440
     
    Dave Balderstone, Jul 9, 2009
    #3
  4. On 2009-07-09 14:09:31 -0700, Tom Harrington
    <> said:

    > In article <xyr5m.24415$>,
    > Geico Caveman <> wrote:
    >
    >> $?hdiutil?create?MacHD?-size?50G?-type?SPARSE?-fs?HFS+?-layout?GPTSPUD??
    >> -stretch?50G?-volname?MacintoshHD?
    >> ?
    >> creates?a?sparseimage?
    >> ?
    >> $?hdiutil?attach?MacHD.sparseimage?
    >> hdiutil:?attach?failed?-?Illegal?seek?
    >> ?
    >> that?I?cannot?mount.?
    >> ?
    >> The?image?is?located?on?a?fuse?filesystem?(Amazon?S3?mounted?through?s3fs).
    >>
    >> If I create the same image on local hard disk, it mounts without any issues.?

    >
    > Because of the way sparse images work, this is not at all surprising.
    > Try using a sparse bundle, which will give you the same advantages but
    > should work in this case.


    Did not work through Disk Utility (got an illegal seek error).

    Through command line:

    $ hdiutil create MacHD -size 50G -type SPARSEBUNDLE -fs HFS+ -layout
    GPTSPUD -stretch 50G -volname MacintoshHD
    hdiutil: create failed - Input/output error

    Now I cannot even create anything.
     
    Geico Caveman, Jul 10, 2009
    #4
  5. On 2009-07-10 15:01:50 -0700, Tom Harrington
    <> said:

    > In article <2009071012215916807-spammersgohere@spaminvalid>,
    > Geico Caveman <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2009-07-09 14:09:31 -0700, Tom Harrington
    >> <> said:
    >>
    >>> In article <xyr5m.24415$>,
    >>> Geico Caveman <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> $?hdiutil?create?MacHD?-size?50G?-type?SPARSE?-fs?HFS+?-layout?GPTSPUD??
    >>>> -stretch?50G?-volname?MacintoshHD?
    >>>> ?
    >>>> creates?a?sparseimage?
    >>>> ?
    >>>> $?hdiutil?attach?MacHD.sparseimage?
    >>>> hdiutil:?attach?failed?-?Illegal?seek?
    >>>> ?
    >>>> that?I?cannot?mount.?
    >>>> ?
    >>>> The?image?is?located?on?a?fuse?filesystem?(Amazon?S3?mounted?through?s3fs).
    >>>>
    >>>> If I create the same image on local hard disk, it mounts without any
    >>>> issues.?
    >>>
    >>> Because of the way sparse images work, this is not at all surprising.
    >>> Try using a sparse bundle, which will give you the same advantages but
    >>> should work in this case.

    >>
    >> Did not work through Disk Utility (got an illegal seek error).
    >>
    >> Through command line:
    >>
    >> $ hdiutil create MacHD -size 50G -type SPARSEBUNDLE -fs HFS+ -layout
    >> GPTSPUD -stretch 50G -volname MacintoshHD
    >> hdiutil: create failed - Input/output error
    >>
    >> Now I cannot even create anything.

    >
    > Try creating it on a local disk and then moving it to S3. The command
    > above should work, and sparse bundles are specifically designed for use
    > on remote servers.


    Tried that (used encryption this time - this entire business is useless
    otherwise).

    The transfer hung at 9.1MB / 65MB or so.

    I get a popup error (used the GUI for the copy) :

    The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in
    "MacHD.sparsebundle" could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

    This also unmounts the s3fs fuse mountpoint.

    Remounting.

    I see a folder there (not an image icon like it was on Desktop).

    I can click on the folder to reveal a single folder named bands.

    The fact that I can get inside without any popup asking me for the
    password (I tested the original sparsebundle - that does ask for a
    password) means that the encryption is non-existent.

    Filling up the sparse image / bundle locally with Carbon Copy Cloner or
    SuperDuper! and then moving it to Amazon S3 is not an option because of
    the 5GB upload limit per entity in S3. The hard disk I am trying to
    backup is 38GB currently.

    I would not mess with any of this at all if duplicity on Mac was not
    broken. Macports has an error that prevents duplicity from being built.
    This error has been in existence for weeks, if not months. An
    intolerable situation that would have been unheard of in Linux.

    If I can't even do remote encrypted backups, this whole business is
    useless. Sorry about the rant (and you deserve none of it given how
    helpful you have tried to be), but I am getting pretty frustrated here.
     
    Geico Caveman, Jul 11, 2009
    #5
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Tony W.
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    242
    George Williams
    Sep 10, 2004
  2. Geico Caveman

    Any way to mount sparseimages over s3fs ?

    Geico Caveman, Jul 9, 2009, in forum: Storage
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    462
    Geico Caveman
    Jul 11, 2009
  3. Geico Caveman

    Mounting sparseimages - illegal seek

    Geico Caveman, Jul 5, 2009, in forum: Misc
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    692
    Geico Caveman
    Jul 5, 2009
  4. Geico Caveman
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    274
    Geico Caveman
    Jul 9, 2009
  5. Geico Caveman
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    360
    Geico Caveman
    Jul 11, 2009
  6. Rommel
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    366
    Rommel
    Jun 30, 2003
  7. Wes Groleau
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    434
    Wes Groleau
    Jul 15, 2006
  8. Martin Sammtleben

    Simple way to mount all external drives?

    Martin Sammtleben, Sep 28, 2006, in forum: UK Macs
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    323
    Tim Streater
    Sep 29, 2006
Loading...