Airport Express without Airport Extreme?

Reaction score
I was wondering...I have a broadband connection in my house, but it's a wired router. can i connect the airport express to that and surf the internet wirelessly with my mac book pro from inside my house, or do i need to have airport extreme?

so i guess what i want to know is can i just purchase Airport express, or do i have to atleast buy an airport extreme? Does airport express work alone, and if it does, what kind of range does it get?

Reaction score
You can use just the Express for everything. I own both, and although Apple claims differently, I don't get the same range or speed from the Express I own (compared to the Extreme). The Express advantage is you can use it for music, so I set up two networks (using the setup software for the stations), and I use one for networking and one for music. An Apple Genius told me the two should perform at the same speed and distance, so maybe my Express is a bad unit; since you have ten days to return it for a full refund, I'd probably get the Express and see if it works for you. Actually, the very best performer is my Belkin-N, which is in my photo studio 150 feet from my house. Even given the distance, when I get a signal in the house from the Belkin it often out-performs either of the Apple units! At the far-side of my house (upstairs) I sometimes get a four bar signal from the Belkin. At that distance the Apple units usually have one or no bars.

Ask a Question