Airport Express General Question

Reaction score
i have a Dell desktop at home.
My sister has new Dell laptop.
i am looking into getting an Apple. (macbook or Mini Mac)
We have a cable modem through Time Warner cable connected only to the Dell desktop. No home network or anything.
If i buy the Airport Express, that will make a home wireless network? and all the computers will be able to share the internet?
Or do we have to have an existing network already, to make it wireless?
I want to know, because if Airport does make one, it is a much cheaper solution
then having to go through Time Warner and have them set up a network.
I could just buy the Airport Express and connect it.
I was unable to find this answer anywhere.

Reaction score
i have a Dell desktop at home.
My sister has new Dell laptop.
i am looking into getting an Apple. (macbook or Mini Mac)
We have a cable modem through Time Warner cable connected only to the Dell desktop. No home network or anything.
If i buy the Airport Express, that will make a home wireless network? and all the computers will be able to share the internet?
Or do we have to have an existing network already, to make it wireless?
I want to know, because if Airport does make one, it is a much cheaper solution
then having to go through Time Warner and have them set up a network.
I could just buy the Airport Express and connect it.
I was unable to find this answer anywhere.

Hi Danno,

The Airport Base Station (or any other wireless router) will create a wireless signal usable by any computer once you hook it up to the cable. Any wireless enabled computer can then use it. This is why it is important to use security software with your router that allows you to protect it with a password, otherwise other people (especially if you live in an apartment building!) can "steal" your wireless and tap into it for free.

If you get Time Warner to set up a "wireless home network", all you're doing is paying them to do it for you.

Ask a Question