Airport and Online Radio

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the mac as I just got an iMac for christmas. I'm looking to set up a wireless network up in my house. I'm new to wireless networks as well so any and all insight would be appreciated. I need my network to do two things. One is provide wireless access for multiple users (3-5 max) in about a 60-80 ft radius. Second, I was looking at the Airport Express. Does it have the capability of playing any audio (i.e. online radio like XM or Sirius) off of your mac or just itunes? I am an XM subscrtiber and would like to be able to stream audio from my mac to my stereo.

Thanks!
Mike

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

We have all been on holiday the response time is normally a lot quicker !

Sounds like you got a nice Christmas present !

Did your iMac have a wireless card built into it ? I know most do but just checking.

What other devices are on your network ? This helps us to work out what the best plan is ? ie other computers, what type of router modems do you have ?

regards and Happy New Year

Ric

Reaction score
My iMac did come with an airport card built into it. I will be hooking up two computers to it: the iMac and my wife's iBook she gets from her job. I would also like to be able to restrict the access so only those who I want get on my network (i.e. password protected). I have a cable modem.

Happy New Year to everyone @ mac-help.com!!!
Mike

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay Holidays and then playing catch up...

The Express is a nice device, I bought one when they first came out. My Wife uses it to stream music from her iBook to the HiFi in the lounge. This works very well.

The networking is easy to use and setup and you will be able to secure it against outside access...I'll post a guide if you get one.

Not sure about the XM or Sirius bits, are these radio shows that you listen to through iTunes ??

regards

Ric

Reaction score
XM and Sirius are satellite radio providers. If you are a subscriber, you can listen to them online instead of through one of their recievers. I was looking for an alternative to buying a home kit to run it through my stereo. The airport is a little pricey for me. I just recently bought the d-link di-624. It works great with my network, comes with a firewall with lots of great security features, and after rebates costs only $30. I like it so far.

Thanks,
Mike

Ask a Question