Add new Front Row Sources

Reaction score
Hi

I have a lot of multimedia stored on an external hard-drive and would like to make this available to be viewed using Front Row. But when I choose "Sources" in the menu the only option I have is the local machine and I don't know how to add the external drive as a source.

Can anyone help?

Ronel

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm a bit rusty with this type of thing and don't use Leopard but where exactly is the "Sources" bit? AFAIK, it is possible to do what you want it just depends on a few variable .... what type of multimedia are you talking about? What are the file types?

Reaction score
Spawn_Dooley

When you open Front Row, the menu gives you 7 Options:
Movies
TV Shows
Music
Podcast
Photos
Settings
Sources

Neither the settings option or the sources option allows me to change anything. Almost as if the options are deactivated.

Settings gives me 4 options: Name, SW Version, Screen Saver (on/off), Sound Effect (On/Off). These setting also do not allow me to change any values. I am wondering whether this is something to do with permissions?

I am the only user on this machine and supposedly the administrator so I hope it is not a permissions thing.

Reaction score
The "Sources" menu, is as far as I've discovered just for watching/listening to stuff shared by other computers through iTunes, as an FrontRow way of dealing with iTunes shared libraries.

My first try would be: create aliases to your external drive's movie folder in your home folder's Movies folder. (if that does not help, do as you have done, ask the internet hive-mind for help)

As for music and photos, those (I think) needs to be in your iTunes and iPhoto libraries, though at least iTunes can be set up to leave your music in place wherever it is instead of copy/move it to it's own designated folder.

Reaction score
Daydreamer

You are bloody brilliant!!!!!!! Thanks a lot. The alias thing worked like a charm. How can I ever thank you?

cheers man
Ronel

Reaction score
Alas, the tip is not my own, I gather knowledge from the same place you do - the 'net - though this scrap did not come from one of my queries, but rather I stumbled upon it while looking for something else, long ago.

The best way to thank (in my opinion, others may or may not agree): share the knowledge you have with those who need it. "Thanks" is enough, I'm happy to be of help.

Also, iTunes can be set-up to store your music anywhere you wish. Go to the settings panel, chose Advanced, then General, there you can change the location of the music folder (how it behaves when you have a load of music already in your library, I do not know, so watch out for pitfalls).

Ask a Question