Account problems

Reaction score
Hello folks!

Was hoping there might be a Mac-genius using this web-site.

I bought a Mac G4 (dual-processor) from my ex-girlfriend and I have been using her username and password (account) for the last year! I have since opened another account in my name but most (and the best) of the programmes that were on her account are not on mine. She is still registered as the Administrator on the computer. My questions are:

(i) Is there a way of transferring the programmes from her account onto my account

and

(ii) Is there a way of making myself the new administrator and deleting her account completely

Anyone's help on this matter would be very gratefully accepted

Barry White

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and Welcome !

You need the original OS X disk so that you can reset your ex's password !

1) Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed). Hold the C key as the computer starts.

2) Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger).

Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.

3) Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.

4) Set the user name of your original administrator account.

Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

5) Enter a new password.

6) Click Save.

Now you will have full access to your ex's Account.

Rename it as your own if you want ! Then you will become the Admin.

Let us know if you're not sure of anything !

Regards

Ric

Ask a Question