A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]

Reaction score
A few months ago after inserting a DVD into my MacBook, I heard a noise like the DVD was jammed. Then the error message: A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]. (I operate with Mac OS X 10.4.11.) Ever since then, the DVD has been stuck in my computer and it does not seem to recognize its presence at all besides the loud sound I hear every time I start up my computer of the DVD spinning/trying to eject. I am no longer covered by the Apple Warranty and have tried almost everything to get the disk out. I have tried the paper clip to eject, shaking it, holding it on its side, holding the mouse during startup, rapidly hitting eject, and have gone through the entire Disk Utility process while on the phone with Apple, which definitely confirmed that the system does not even recognize their is a DVD present.

If anyone has any advice, similar issues or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated as I would prefer to not bring this to the Apple Store to be fixed and be overcharged because I am not quite sure what went wrong. Thank you.

Ask a Question