Youtube And iTunes Cutting Out

Reaction score
ive had older computers and even older imacs, like 2009 my whole life. i have a mini mac now 8MB. so ive had computer problems my whole life, they always got backed up and id have to restart and use disk utility

youtube doesnt always play rite, its like a record it skips, its intermittent, i just restart and run disk utility sometimes and it goes back to playing fine

but now itunes is doing the same thing which it never has on any of my computers. ive restarted alot and ran disk utility alot, nothing gets better. youtube is the same now too

i havent installed anything or uninstalled anything at all since i got the computer months ago, i have El Capitan 10.11.6. everythings updated except for theres 2 updates i havent done yet, which shouldnt effect anything

why can i be having this problem

Code:
  Model Name:    Mac mini
  Model Identifier:    Macmini7,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core i5
  Processor Speed:    2.6 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    3 MB
  Memory:    8 GB
  Boot ROM Version:    MM71.0220.B07
  SMC Version (system):    2.24f32
  Serial Number (system):    C0KRM016GF1Q
  Hardware UUID:    5A021CC1-F375-5558-8312-2052588CF462

Reaction score
it seriously only does it when theres music going, i can watch a youtube that isnt a song but as soon as music starts going it cuts out

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

That is a strange issue, since it affects audio in multiple apps.

-Do you have Adobe Flash installed by any chance?
-Does it skip forwards and backwards like a stutter - especially if you are touching the mouse?
-Have you checked your settings in  > System Preferences... > Sharing to see if any of them are enabled?

We'll see if we can figure this out,

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You could try Google Chrome with YouTube to see if that corrects the video sound issue.

C

Reaction score
i shouldnt have to change browsers that ive been using my whole life, its not just youtube

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You don't have to change browsers permanently, I recommended that to test it for troubleshooting.

-What peripherals are connected - printers, hard drives, speakers?
-Is the audio played through the internal speaker, speakers connected to the headphone jack, Bluetooth speakers, etc.?
-Is the mini connected to a TV via HDMI?
-Any third-party utilities such as MacKeeper/CleanMyMac,or antivirus installed?

C

Reaction score
it has nothing to do with a the browser it does it on itunes too

its just the computer, nothing else

i have external speakers

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, I understand it does it in iTunes as well. I am just doing normal troubleshooting to narrow down what could be causing the issue.

-You could try a NVRAM and/or SMC reset.
-You could apply the two software updates that you mentioned, even though they may not be related.
-You could try downloading and installing the OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update over the top of your current installation. As always, be sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.
-You could run Apple Diagnostics to test the hardware.
-You could create another user to see if the issue is user-specific or system-wide.
-You could try disconnecting your speakers and play the audio through the built-in speaker in the Mac mini and see if it happens there, just to rule out the speakers.

C

Reaction score
i came back later and unplugged the speakers and there wasnt a problem for a couple songs, i plugged them back in and there still wasnt a problem. i obviously dont have an explanation for it but everythings working fine now with itunes

youtube still does it, i use pale moon its new and i tried firefox the problem is there too. its not like a youtube issue with having to reload or my computer needs to be restarted. i restart and use disk utility all the time, the computer was bought brand new a couple months ago. as soon as i turn any youtube on it does it

without the speakers connected youtube works fine, and goes back to the problem with the speakers. theres nothing wrong with the speakers obviously because itunes is working fine now

i did this NVRAM, nothing was better immediately after

i did update earlier

i did apple diagnostics it said everything was fine

i couldnt install the combo it wasnt compatible

i used a new user on both firefox and the computer but that didnt change anything

how can i get this off my menu

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 12.04.16 AM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
itunes is doing it again, just watching any video on the computer, maybe it is the speakers, theyre fairly new

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ooops...forgot about that...

 > System Preferences...> Users & Groups > Login Options > click the lock to enter your password to unlock the preferences > uncheck the box Show fast user switching menu as. It should disappear from the menu bar. You can also select the Users & Groups Preferences... in that drop-down to access the settings.

C

Ask a Question