wireless mouse issue

Reaction score
Hi all,

My wireless mouse quit working, tried 3 others, for some reason it won't recognize them anymore. It started after I did a software update. I'm running OSX 10.6.8

The message that now comes up when I boot up my macbook is :

"The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernethost.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update"

Are they talking about the software for the mouse or the macbook? If they are talking about the macbook, what update would they want?

Plug in mouse works fine, usb slot works fine. It's just wireless mouse.

Reaction score
Which Logitech models do you have? I have a Logitech M310 that I use with my Mac Mini, and a Logitech M325 that I use with my Mac Book Air. Both work fine (and I installed that package that I gave the link to you above). Cannot say anything about the Microsoft mouse.

Also, I am using Yosemite (OS 10.10.1). That should not make a difference, as far as the "driver" package from Logitech is concerned.

Reaction score
I'm downloading that link. It worked since I got this puter back about 5 years ago, this is a new change.

Reaction score
When you upgraded to OS 10.6.8, did you use the Combo Updater? In many cases, it is better to use a Combo Updater for an OS update. Here is a link where you can download it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

Not sure it will help, but when i was using Snow Leopard, I did apply the Combo Updater (as I do with all OS updates). Never had issues with the wireless Logitech mouse I was using then (different model than what I have now).

One other thing you could try is using another wireless mouse. Maybe you have a friend that has one.

Reaction score
This won't change any thing else, right? I tried using 3 different wireless mouses (word? lol). They all quit working after that, including on other computers.

Reaction score
This won't change any thing else, right? I tried using 3 different wireless mouses (word? lol). They all quit working after that, including on other computers.

The Combo updater can't hurt.

Actually, the error message you are getting is (apparently) due to an update of iTunes. I just did a google search of "Can the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernethost.kext be removed?", and here are all the "hits":

https://www.google.com/search?q=Can the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernethost.kext be removed?&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

The second one shows a way to resolve the issue. You might want to try that. But, in your case, since you are using OS 10.6.8, you'll need to download the correct version of iTunes. It looks like the "latest" Snow Leopard compatible version is 11.0.1. You can get it from here:

http://www.neowin.net/news/itunes-1101

The download link is near the bottom of the page, where it says "Download". But, there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. You'll need to determine which one you'll need.

Last edited:

Ask a Question