Winebottler - Help with Conversion Needed

Reaction score
I'm using Winebottler Version 1.7.53 (http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/downloads) to convert several Windows applications to run on OSX. It seems to be a bit erratic. It takes several tries before it does the conversion. My main issue is that it only converts one particular application in a bundle of six shareware applications.

This is the shareware software bundle that I'm trying to convert:
http://machinehead-bicycle-software.software.informer.com/download/

The bundle actually does work with Virtual PC 6.1 and Windows 2000. But when I convert the software to run on OSX, only the spoke length calculator application is converted and not the other 5 applications. It creates an application titled:
"Bike Software.app/". It opens to an application called "Wheel Calc" for calculating spoke lengths for bicycle wheels.

I'm using an early 2011 - 17" MacBook Pro with OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). I have just done fresh reload of all my software onto a hard drive.

If anyone has the time or inclination to attempt this conversion I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know whether it's my error or just not possible to convert the application with this version of Winebottler.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I haven't heard many positives about Winebottler, Wine, or CrossOver type apps in my experience. Parallels/Fusion/Boot Camp are the best solutions to run Windows apps on a Mac.

Also, I would stay away from download sites like Software Informer as much as you can. Installers downloaded from those types of sites are not always totally safe and as the author intended.

That said, here are a few questions/comments:

-Since the software is a bundle of apps, that may be why it won't convert properly.
-Have you tried running it straight out, instead of converting it first?
-Have you tried using the CrossOver demo?

C

Reaction score
I downloaded the Crossover demo only to discover that it won't run with OS 10.6.8. And no, I don't want to use a newer Mac OS. I had Mavericks on my MacBook for 24 hours before I couldn't stand it any more and I wiped the drive and loaded 10.6.8. What I plan to do is load Yosemite onto a partition of the hard drive and use it only when I absolutely am forced to.

I didn't buy a Mac to run Windows. I've used it at work and I hate it. It still feels like DOS wearing an ugly rubber mask. Boot camp sounds like the worst of the options Considering that Windows run on Intel, the concept of using, what is basically a translator, such as Winebottler or Crossover, sounds like the better way to go, provided they get the bugs out.

Reaction score
I found another application called "Play on Mac"
https://www.playonmac.com/en/

I was able to convert all of the applications in the bundle without any problems. For now my issues are solved as Play on Mac converted the only two Windows applications that I need to use

Ask a Question