Wi-Fi: Searching for Networks

Reaction score
Hi
My mac is showing that I have a wifi connection on the top ribbon, but struggling to connect to the Internet. When I click on the wifi icon, the top line is switching between 'Wi-Fi: On' and 'Wi-Fi: Searching for Networks.'

I have run diagnostics which states hardware is fine, and Internet connection is fine. Why does the connection keep on dropping out?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi
My mac is showing that I have a wifi connection on the top ribbon, but struggling to connect to the Internet. When I click on the wifi icon, the top line is switching between 'Wi-Fi: On' and 'Wi-Fi: Searching for Networks.'

I have run diagnostics which states hardware is fine, and Internet connection is fine. Why does the connection keep on dropping out?

Thanks

What you can try is the following (some of these steps depend upon what your ISP recommends):

1) Completely turn off your Mac.

2) Disconnect both the modem and the router (assuming you have one).

3) Based on what your ISP recommends, plug in your modem, and let it power up.

4) Plug in your router, and let it power up.

5) Restart your Mac.

In quite a few instances, that is all you need to reset "things".

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

When you click on the Wi-Fi icon, it automatically performs a scan for wireless networks...that's why you always see "Airport: Looking for Networks..." when you click on it.

If you are losing connection, there are several things to try:

-Move closer to the Wi-Fi access point
-Turn Wi-Fi off and back on again
-Restart the computer
-Power cycle the modem/router (as honestone detailed above)
-Change Wi-Fi network priority
-Change the Service Order of network connections

Let us know if those suggestions don't help the situation.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I had previously tried various configurations of turning the Mac and the wifi router on and off, but just to make sure went through the process again following the steps suggested. No luck.

I have also just gone through the network priority and service order alterations suggested.

As I am posting from iPad on the same wifi right next to the Mac I do not believe this is a distance from router problem.

The 'wifi on' and 'looking for networks' are lasting five seconds each.

Any ideas?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you contacted your ISP about this? What model Mac & Mac OS X version? Have you ever been able to connect to WiFi without the drop-outs before? Does a wired connection function okay?

Ask a Question