What Browser Do You Prefer?

Reaction score
I have been a long time user of Firefox, and until very recently, I swore by it! (I would need to use Safari "once in a blue moon", per se, to be able to see a web page properly). Well, a couple of days ago I downloaded the latest version of Google's Chrome browser, and I am really getting to like it! In fact, I am almost at the point where I will make it my default browser. It is definitely faster than Firefox (and Safari), and there are quite a few pages I can view in Chrome that I could not properly see in Firefox. This is especially true for videos on ESPN's site.

So, I'm wondering what browser folks around here use. From quite a few posts, it seems to be Safari. I also wonder where would safari be "better" than Chrome, and where would Chrome be "better" than Safari?

Reaction score
I've been sold on Firefox for quite a few years now. Opinions vary regarding the speed of different web browsers, so I won't attempt to get into that. One thing that initially sold me on Firefox -- compared to Safari at the time -- was the multitude of available plugins and extensions. The level to which one can customize Firefox is nice. In contrast, at the time that I became hooked on Firefox, Safari just seemed too bland and lacking in the features that I needed.

As far as Google Chrome is concerned, well, ahem, just look at who owns it; just one of the biggest personal data mining companies in the world. I wouldn't touch their browser with a ten-foot pole. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I also used to be a LONG, LONG time user of Firefox (can't remember what it was called in the old days), but recently, it has been rather slow. I am really liking Google Chrome more and more. It definitely satisfies my "need for speed".

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I stick to good Ol' Safari but need Firefox for certain tasks. I'm finding that Safari is starting to behave erratically on my 10.7.6 system more & more lately. I've had to remove most of the extensions. I have no plans to use Chrome, maybe Opera ...

Reaction score
I stick to good Ol' Safari but need Firefox for certain tasks. I'm finding that Safari is starting to behave erratically on my 10.7.6 system more & more lately. I've had to remove most of the extensions. I have no plans to use Chrome, maybe Opera ...

I am curious. Why don't you just update to Yosemite 10.10.2 and get the latest version of Safari along with any improvements and bug fixes that it may include? It is a matter of good practice, and it may resolve your current issues with Safari.

Of course, at the same time, using 3rd party extensions is a mixed bag of tricks, and one must be careful. For security reasons, I use the least number of plugins as possible with Firefox.

Reaction score
I am curious. Why don't you just update to Yosemite 10.10.2 and get the latest version of Safari along with any improvements and bug fixes that it may include? It is a matter of good practice, and it may resolve your current issues with Safari.

Of course, at the same time, using 3rd party extensions is a mixed bag of tricks, and one must be careful. For security reasons, I use the least number of plugins as possible with Firefox.

There is the distinct possibility that Spawn_Dooley has a machine which cannot be upgraded to Yosemite. For that last version of Lion (by the way, that was 10.7.5), the last version of Safari was 6.1.6.

And yes, it is always a good idea to limit the number of extensions one adds to a browser. But, whatever extensions one has, it's important to keep them up to date.

This actually highlights a more general issue that I have been meaning to mention. One needs to be vigilant in keeping track of any application one has. I have seen a number of folks here who do not practice that, and often updating an application (or applications) can resolve many issues. For me, I check the following site at least twice a day to see if there are any updates I might need:

http://www.macupdate.com/

I suggest one check that site as often as possible.

Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe. His specs say that he has a "2.16GHz iMac Core 2 Duo 20 inch, 3 GB SDRAM, Mac OS 10.7.3".

I have an early 2009 24" iMac Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM. It is also 3.06 GHz. I run Yosemite 10.10.2 on it. So maybe the speed bump that I have, and the extra RAM that I have, make it possible to run Yosemite.

Actually, I also have a slightly newer 27" 2.8 GHz i7 Quad Core iMac with 8 GB SDRAM and Yosemite 10.10.2. However, it is sitting on the floor broken, because it is out of warranty, and this boy doesn't have the money to get it fixed. :(

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding keeping browser extensions, system software and 3rd party apps up-to-date. I am likewise very "religious" about it, and visit macupdate.com a few times each day . . . sometimes because I am just bored. :)

Reaction score
Understand what you are saying. I have a late 2012 Core i7 Mac mini with 4 GB of RAM and a 256 gig Samsung SSD (installed it myself), and a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air with 4 GB of RAM and the "stock" 256 gig SSD the machine comes with (a Samsung device also, but not as "good" as the one in the Mini), and I run 10.10.2 without any issues. Of course, I am diligent about keeping both of my machines "mean and clean", and of course up to date with software.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
honestone is correct, my 2006 iMac C2D won't run anything beyond Lion.

It 'could' theoretically run ML 10.8 but Apple would need to release something necessary via Software Update in order for this to be realised. Maybe some sort of .kext I don't fully comprehend the situation …

Ask a Question